Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Dumor Guinea Pig Food: Yes or No?

CoppersMom

Cavy Slave
Hey Everyone,

I recently came across Dumor Guinea Pig Food at the TSC. I am wondering on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, your thoughts on the quality of this feed for piggies? Also if you do not recommend I use this feed, what is your recommendation? I could not find the actual link to the food so here are the first 21 ingredients in the food:

Wheat Middings, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Timothy Hay Pellets, Soybean Hulls, Oats Groats, Clipped Oats, Beet Molasses, Soybean Oil, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Dried Carrots, Calcium Carbonate, Whole Wheat, Dried Papaya, Ground Corn, Pumpkin seeds, Dried Bananas, Dried Pineapple, Raisins, Roasted Soybeans, Roasted, Green Peas, Dried Cranberries. (If you need the complete list lmk.)

Crude Protein: 14%
Crude Fat, min.: 5.0%
Crude Fiber, max.: 22%
Moisture, max.: 14%
Vitamin A: 1350 IU/lb
Vitamin D: 300 IU/lb
Vitamin E: 50 IU/lb
Vitamin C: 150 mg/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, min.: 0.8%

Thank you for any help you are able to provide!!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
This is one of the lower quality foods out there. Wheat middlings are bad period, and alfalfa has too much calcium for pigs over 6 months old. You want a pellet with Timothy hay as the first ingredient.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also lots of sweet stuff, and no indication of how much calcium. I wouldn't feed that to mine if someone paid me.

The best pellets out there are KMS Hayloft, and I understand that Oxbow is taking the limestone out of their Essentials Cavy Cuisine, which makes those two about even. I don't know how much longer until Oxbow makes the change and it works it way down through the distribution system, but if my information is correct, it's coming.

There are some other fairly good pellets on the market, but they've all got limestone as the calcium source.

CoppersMom

Cavy Slave
Also lots of sweet stuff, and no indication of how much calcium. I wouldn't feed that to mine if someone paid me.

The best pellets out there are KMS Hayloft, and I understand that Oxbow is taking the limestone out of their Essentials Cavy Cuisine, which makes those two about even. I don't know how much longer until Oxbow makes the change and it works it way down through the distribution system, but if my information is correct, it's coming.

There are some other fairly good pellets on the market, but they've all got limestone as the calcium source.
@bpatters I found this link to the KMS Hayloft pellets, is this the one you are currently using? (broken link removed)

I am so glad I asked about the Dumor Pellets, I had a bad feeling about them! Thank you!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I contacted Oxbow and was told that Essentials Adult Guinea Pig, Essentials Adult Rabbit and Essentials Young Rabbit foods do not contain calcium carbonate. Essentials Young GP, Essentials Chinchilla, Natural Science Adult Guinea Pig, Adult Rabbit and the Organic BeneTerra Adult Rabbit and Adult Guinea Pig still contain it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I saw an email from Oxbow to someone I know that said they were removing it. But the packaging still carries it, as does the website. And I'm sure there's a lot of it already distributed to to stores that still have it. I'd wait to buy any until the packaging is actually changed -- then you'd be sure you were getting fresh.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I found this link to the KMS Hayloft pellets, is this the one you are currently using? (broken link removed)

Yes those are the correct KMS pellets for adult guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.