Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Bully Pig!!

When i let them on the floor to play. Nibbles, the aggressive one, darts over to the other piggies. So, yes even having them in a neutral setting hasn't worked. Ughhh. I've been taking her out and loving on her. She chatters her teeth when getting her out of her cage, but then she let's me brush her hair and feed her before she wants back in her cage.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/54 Posts

Is the male neutered? If not, please separate him from the others or you will have much bigger issues to deal with when the 3 females give birth.

3. "Thank you, poop_patrol, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts

Now when you say you let them on the floor to play, are you talking about normal floor time?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

He is not with three females, he is with two and i want those two to have babies.

Nibbles is NOT one of the two girls because she is by herself because she bites and her hair stands up when she is near them. They will run and hide from her, in their own cage, and she seeks them out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Not normal floor time. An area designated for them to be introduced.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

@GuineaBabes01, I have edited your posts. If you are deliberately breeding your pigs, you may not post pictures on this forum, nor may you discuss breeding in any fashion. This is a strongly anti-breeding, pro-adoption, pro-rescue forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

My apologies, I didn't know. Thank you for letting me know. Although, that was not the intent of my original question. I'm just needing to find out what is going on with my pig. She seems to just want to be left alone and I don't know if it's because she is albino ( no idea if that is a bearing on her behavior). She is not in a cage with the other pigs, because she won't get along.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Technically, there's no such thing as an albino pig. They're really PEWs -- pink-eyed whites. And color has no bearing on behavior at all.

May I ask why you intend to breed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Ok, thanks. I wanted just two of them to have babies, no particular reason. But a few nights ago I changed my mind and modified the cage to separate him from the girls. Now he is climbing on his house to try to get down to the girls.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

If you want to keep him away from the females, put a lid on THEIR cage. He can push a lid up off his own, but he can't lift a lid to get into theirs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

This cage is from CC cages and it has two levels, he is on the top level....he can't get to them.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/6 Posts

Male guinea pigs have been known to do anything to get to the girls- even climbing over the c&c grids! It would be wise to place some kind of a lid on the girls' cage to prevent him from a more serious fall that could severely injure him or get your girls pregnant.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts

There is usually one that is more dominant than the others, or displays more dominance more often. This is normal. I have 3 females and the oldest is the most dominant, testy and rumblestruts at least 8 to 10 times or more a day. Note that guinea pigs can also go into heat so they are a bit more testy and assertive during this time.

It took a good 7 days before all 3 had settled in a hierarchy. Even after 1 week, there were occasional nips and snappings to assert their places. This is normal. it sounds like you've interrupted and prolonged the process by changing their cages and accommodations repeatedly - this repeats the entire cycle again. Guinea pigs displaying dominance at first will come back double or ten fold in dominance to assert themselves when re-introduced again after separation. Try not to interfere the first time and let them work it out. As long as there is no blood the first time and no one is preventing the other from eating or drinking for prolonged periods, this is fine. Please keep males and females separated unless spayed or neutered. Do not place two unneutered males in the same cage - more fights break out this way than necessary. Always introduce on neutral territory. Keep a towel on hand to drop on their heads to dissipate a fight if it gets too antagonistic. DO NOT reach in with your bare hand. Put a sneaker on one hand and if you have to break it up, use the hand protected in your sneaker/rubber shoe.

You can reduce the amount of squabbles and fights by having 2 or more feeding stations for kibble and 2 or more watering holes or bottles. Don't expect them to share anything in the first week. Make sure your cage is large enough to house 2-3 enemies. Imagine yourself suddenly naked and competing for food in a prison cell with total strangers who look and smell different. The likelihood of being defensive and wanting to defend your food is high. Lessen this by increasing the space and access to food and water.

All the best. Keep us updated.

15. "Thank you, Sunrise, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Thank you Sunrise.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    48 Rec'd/44 Posts

Actually, @Sunrise, neutering your boar does nothing to change his personality. All it does is not allow him to make babies. So two un neutered males will fight the same as two neutered males or one neutered male and one intact male.

18. "Thank you, magicpiggie, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List