Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Pregnancy Kit

Am I supposed to have some sort of kit made in preparation? At the moment I have 'Wombaroo Guinea Pig Milk Formula', syringes, baby wipes, towels, sterile nail scissors, iodine and gloves....

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is somewhat based off of a horse birthing kit we have at work...

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

Re: Pregnancy Kit

There's generally no need for a pregnancy kit. The pups come quickly, the moms clean them off, and they're up and running around. It won't hurt to have it, of course, but the biggest problem that occurs with GP births is the inability of the sow to pass a very large pup through the birth canal. That's not something that can be treated at home, and it usually results in the death of the sow and any unborn pups.

Milk replacement is not generally recommended, even if the mom dies. What's in the actual formula? The closest thing to guinea pig milk is actually goat's milk, which is a surprise.

You shouldn't need the iodine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

At first I had read somewhere to use puppy milk, but I went to my local vet and picked it up. The formula's ingredients are: whey protein, caseins, whole milk solids, vegetable oils, omega-3 & omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D3, K, nicotinamide pantothenic acid, biotin, folic acid, choline, inositol, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, magnesium, iron, manganese, copper, iodine, selenium.

I forgot to mention that the kit includes my emergency vet numbers. Also, the iodine is (base off of the horse birthing kit) typically used on the end of the umbilical cord to avoid infection

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3820 Post(s)

Neither puppy not kitten milk is recommended. And in spite of the name, I don't think that's guinea pig milk.

Milk replacement is very, very rarely used, and then only when no sow's milk is available and the pup is compromised in some way. GP pups are born ready to eat and run, and can actually do very well without milk replacement.

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

It still doesn't hurt to have it does it? I'm just paranoid...I love Ruby. She's my little cuddle-bug and I haven't gotten any hugs from her D:

User Tag List