Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Fleece or Bedding?

I'm getting 2 Guinea pigs for the first time this Saturday and I have everything I need to raise them except I can't decide if fleece or bedding is better. Which one would you prefer?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

Re: Fleece or Bedding?

It depends on your preference. You'll have to try them to know what you'll like.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Alright, thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    711 Rec'd/612 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)

When I first started with guinea pigs I used Carefresh bedding. It was such a pain for me to deal with. I have a 6X2 C&C cage and besides the expense of filling such a large enclosure the cleaning of it was ridiculous. When I switched over to fleece it was so much easier for me to maintain. I admit my laundry duties have increased dramatically but I would much sooner do that then haul all that Carefresh out of the cage. I have entertained the idea of making a smaller bin within my cages and filling it with Carefresh and hope that my pigs might use it for their potty. However I'm pretty sure that I will continue as I have been doing.

Everyone has different preferences but fleece is my choice. I also love being able to make their cages more colorful by using different fleece. Right now all of my cages are decked out for fall. I found some great autumn themed fleece from Joannes.

Congratulations on getting your new pigs. I know you will have lots of fun with them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I have to say that for me fleece over wood pellets has proven to be the best bedding solution. You can easily shake out the fleece or spot clean and the wood pellets last a long time, maybe 2 months before they need to be changed. In my area of Mass. a 40 lb. bag of wood pellets only costs about $5 or so at my local Tractor Supply store.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I've been using care fresh bedding and it's a pain, it smells bad fast and it's ridiculous to clean out. I just switched to fleece and it's so much better. My piggies love how soft it is, it's more cute and colorful and it's easier to clean up. Plus I noticed a huge decrease in smell since my two males can get stinky pretty fast! Fleece is my preference

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

And I use yesterday's new paper based cat litter underneath. It's a decent price for a huge bag and lasts a lot longer than bedding

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

I got a piggy not long ago. At first I was using shavings as bedding. But she kept kicking it out of the cage and making a mess on the carpet, so I decided to get fleece. I'm really happy with it, she seems to like it too, it just takes work every day to pick up the poop and hay or other stuff. Hope my opinion helps you decide.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I've had great luck with fleece over wood pellets. It combines the look/feel/easy cleanup of the fleece with the absorbency of wood shavings/pellets. You can find more info in this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...f-wood-pellets .

The only downside is that for a larger cage it involves moving multiple 40lb bags of wood pellets.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I babysat some rats for two months before I got my pigs. They had carefresh and it was a pain to clean, I cant imagine buying that to fill a 7.5 foot long cage(which is what I have)! I use fleece and at first my cage was constantly thrashed with hay everywhere. After talking with a few people I decided to make a dining area at one side of my cage. I had some coroplast scraps and partitioned off 1/3 of the cage with a strip they have to hop over to get to the food side. Now all the hay stays in one place and since they poop where they eat, the rest of the cage stays much cleaner in the sleeping area. I also found that sweeping up the poops in the sleeping area didn't work for me. I put an extra layer of fleece that I can take out and dump the poops quickly. Also I have a separate piece of fleece in the eating area so I can change that out separately since it needs it more often than the sleeping area. Also, I just use newspaper under my fleece that I get for free and it works well.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I am only new to this my self but for my piggys I have some straw in a corner or the cage ( i dont know if this is good advise but it allows them to burrow a little and hide) and fleece beds it is kind of shaped into a dome I purchased a 6 of thesse to allow for washing as i have three pigs. would love to here what others think as it would help me as well to make sure i am doing the righht thing. Advise on the right thing to do by your guinea pigs here in australia isnt that good and i am so glad i have found this sight to stop me stuffing up with my kids loved pets. The pet stores are really no help at all here and trying to find a exotic vet is so hard they all claim to know what they are doing but it seems t be paying money for nothing more than the advise i can get off this sight.....

User Tag List