Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

help!! my guineqa pig seems to be gasping

i need help. i am taking my guinea pigs vet tomorrow but i cant slee...p becausse i am worried sick. i have 6 guinea pigs 5 boys and one girl. 4 boys are togther and then one is alone because he cant be trusted with the others as he attacks but i started notice, shodow the one that attacks start making this weird noise like has if he ghasp for hair when he trys to scream like the other for vegs but i got to told he was probly just need more water as it was summer but now 3 of my other boys are doing it too, and i m sooo worried. does anyone have any idea what it could be. one of the smaller ones does it alot even when he is not screaming. they can still making noise and squeek though. and shadow and cupid have lost alot of wait //: help please!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,154 Rec'd/5,692 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3723 Post(s)

Re: help!! my guineqa pig seems to be gasping

You need an exotic vet, like yesterday. Weight loss is a very serious sign in guinea pigs, and should always be investigated as soon as possible. It sounds as though your herd may have a respiratory infection. There's nothing you can do to treat it yourself. Please find a good exotic vet and get them in tomorrow morning.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

It could be a respiratory problem, like a URI, especially if they've lost weight. I'd take them to an exotics vet with guinea pig experience ASAP. Your number one priority until they can be seen is to keep them eating and drinking, though. Offer them all their favorite veggies as often as possible, and put water on them if it seems like they're not using their water bottles.

If you think it might help, you could separate the one who's not sick still, and he might not catch it, but he's already been exposed so he might not catch it anyway. Or he could have a milder form, with less severe gasping symptoms. Either way you should get to a vet as soon as you can. Be prepared that you might have to give medication and syringe-feed them. The vet should show you how to do it. This is all assuming that it is a URI, though.

Is there any way you could post a video of the noises? Do you ever hear a clicking sound? And how much are they eating?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I took my guinea pig in just this evening for what sounds like the same problem. It turned out it is probably pneumonia. I got some meds for her but have to watch her cage mate very closely but I'm afraid that she has cought it before I seperated them. It sounds like if that's the case tour whole herd got it spread around quickly. My Willa wheat down hill quickly and she has just gotten her first dose of medal so I'm waiting and watching and hopeful that this med will work.

User Tag List