Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pigs and spray paint

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Obviously I'm not going to spray paint my guinea pigs, I'm going to spray paint a desk and put their cage on top of it 24hrs after its dry. My worry is whether or not they will chew on the edge of the desk, whether or not they can chew on or lick the desk under their fleece (I'm planning to put the fleece right on the desk since its waterproof) and whether or not they could get sick from the spray paint after its done off-gassing. It is a VOC free spray paint.
If there's no way for it to be safe I can buy soy paint and use it in the areas they might be able to reach, but it won't look nearly as nice :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It should be safe, but the paint will eventually be stained. Why not put something like a piece of coroplast or a shower curtain underneath and protect the desk.

The guinea pigs aren't likely to chew on it. If they could get to an edge, they might, but not the flat top of the desk.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm planning to put the fleece right on the desk since its waterproof

Fleece is not waterproof. It allows liquid to go through to the absorbent layer underneath. Unless you bought/sewn fleece bedding that has waterproof layer on the bottom, urine will pass through to your desk.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
No, the desk is waterproof since its vinyl
I have proper fleece liners, and towels and loose fleece I also use

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you paint over plastic, you'll probably need to sand it or apply a good primer over it before painting it or the paint will probably peel off.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't understand. If you're putting them on the vinyl top of the desk, where can they get to the desk to chew it?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
For floor time when I let them run around, or if they burrow under the fleece to lick the desk or something.
its 4 particle board bookcases with a vinyl finish that I made a desktop for. Problem is the two parts don't match so I want to make it black. Even if they don't get a chance to chew it I worry about whether or not living so close to spray paint will be toxic to them.
Pinky- I already have sanded the desk top portion since its home-made

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Once the paint has dried, it'll be fine. There's no essential difference between spray paint and regular paint. The spray paint just has propellant in the can to get the paint out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.