Thread: Playing radio for my guinea pig to alleviate loneliness?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Playing radio for my guinea pig to alleviate loneliness?

Hey guys,

Two weeks ago, one of my guinea pigs, Pipsqueak, passed away quite suddenly. So now I'm left with one pig, Mocha.

Do you think keeping the radio on throughout the way will make Mocha feel less lonely? Or is there anything else I can do? I'm on the lookout for another guinea pig to adopt, but right now all the shelters around me only have males, but I'm still trying.

Thanks!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Re: Playing radio for my guinea pig to alleviate loneliness?

I don't think a radio or TV will make a difference. Keep the cage in the room of the house where there's the most activity when you're home until you're able to find her a friend. Have you considered getting a male and neutering him? You can even ask if any of them have already been neutered. Approx. where are you located? We might be able to help you find a source for more guinea pigs in your area.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

I'm in Vancouver, BC!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rainspinner View Post
    I'm in Vancouver, BC!
    Rainspinner, I am also in Vancouver, BC. There are great places to adopt starting with the BC SPCA. Please remember to adopt a same sex guinea pig. In Vancouver it seems not many vet clinics will neuter or spay guinea pigs. Eagle Ridge Animal Hospital may as they are very big but to save yourself the hassle, stick to a same sex new friend if you are looking to adopt again.

I am sorry for your loss of Pipsqueak.

If you are putting your lone guinea pig in a busy area of the house right now, please make sure to at least have 1 hidey house or stable hideout. I'm not a fan of guinea pigs in super busy areas as they do like their short naps and they startle easily. I have my 3 girls in a quiet corner of the living room and I live alone and work full time plus volunteer at the BC SPCA so the house is empty 40 to 50 hours/week.

User Tag List