Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties My Ratty Pictures!

TeamNinjaBug

Cavy Gazer
I have three pet rats currently living with me! They're three girls named Waffles, Oreo, and Rusty!

Waffles is the oldest of the trio, over a year and a half old, and my solitary girl. She was originally a feeder rat that I hand-raised since pup-hood, and my first sweet moment with her was when I first brought her home. Instead of going into her nice warm nursery, she wanted to sleep in my hand. :3 I'm next to certain that she thinks she's a human cuz she doesn't get along with other rats. I try to keep her from being lonely and carry her in her bonding hat and bonding bag every moment I'm home. She's a shy girl, but very loving towards humans and loves giving kisses and burrowing into shirts!

Rusty is a Himalayan ratty that I adopted from the same shelter I'm getting my piggy from. Although she's blind, she's fearless, highly adventurous, and extremely loving. When I first brought her home, she wanted to play immediately and almost drowned me with kisses, even though I was a complete stranger to her. She's head-over-heels in love with my ragdoll cat, Mochi, and will follow him everywhere (even though he doesn't appreciate the attention and always runs away!!).

Oreo was adopted with Rusty, and she's an agouti hooded. She's my independent, no-nonsense kind of girl that prefers to explore and do her own thing rather than be petted. She tends to only come to me looking for food or when she needs help climbing down from the top of the cage! XD She's also unafraid by Mochi, but unlike Rusty, she doesn't like him very much. When I first got them, Mochi had the habit of climbing their cage, no matter how many times I reprimanded him. Until Oreo had enough of it and she would grab for Mochi through the bars every time he even got near the cage. Now Mochi respects her and gives her space, and no longer climbs the cage. Oreo will constantly remind him who's boss by chasing him off the play area.

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Wow! Good for you guys and certainly for your ratties:)!
We have now 4 girls, who are friendly nosey and overprotective of their palace we've built for them ourselves. They are being grounde now for the reason of baby piggies that were born Saturday otherwise thy run free every night and happy to go back to their home to find goodies.
Will try to take pics but they can be very blurry as u know:)
thanks f the pics

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
You have such beautiful girls! I also have four Ratty girls and one is also blind. Isn't it funny how the blind ones are the most affectionate? I have one silver (Mina the ghost rat), one black broken hooded (Patches: miss incharge), one tan hooded (Honey: the hyper kisser), and her sister (CreamyPuff : the blind cuddle muffin). None of them like our cats but my mini pin thought they where wierd shaped puppies from day one. When they get tired from playing they'll cuddle in her dog bed with her for tv time which is adorable!

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Can u post some pics please? Tnx!

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
They're so adorable! I think my next pet will be rats. I hear that they're quite friendly and smart. Aren't wire bottoms bad for their feet though? I know they're bad for pigs, and I assumed they're bad for most small animals, but I thought they caused bumblefoot in rats too?

TeamNinjaBug

Cavy Gazer
Thanks guys!! So good to see fellow rat lovers!!

Isn't it funny how the blind ones are the most affectionate?

I know right! Always the bravest too! X3 I think they have less to worry about when they can't see, although this sometimes gets me worried that she's not fearing what she should, like the protective mom I am! And your girls sound so adorable!! CreamyPuff is such a cute name (how did I go this long with ratties and not think of that name before?)!

Aren't wire bottoms bad for their feet though? I know they're bad for pigs, and I assumed they're bad for most small animals, but I thought they caused bumblefoot in rats too?

Indeed. I try to keep my levels covered in old shirts using black clips (and for the second level where the water bottle is, weighing the shirt down under a brick), but my girls often chew off the clips (or pull it out from under the brick somehow...) and pull it all into one corner; they started doing this in Oreo's last picture, but I fixed it back up afterwards! :) I try to keep it maintained when I spot-clean morning and evening! If anyone has an idea on how to keep these shirts into place, I'd appreciate it! XD

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys!! So good to see fellow rat lovers!!

I know right! Always the bravest too! X3 I think they have less to worry about when they can't see, although this sometimes gets me worried that she's not fearing what she should, like the protective mom I am! And your girls sound so adorable!! CreamyPuff is such a cute name (how did I go this long with ratties and not think of that name before?)!

Indeed. I try to keep my levels covered in old shirts using black clips (and for the second level where the water bottle is, weighing the shirt down under a brick), but my girls often chew off the clips (or pull it out from under the brick somehow...) and pull it all into one corner; they started doing this in Oreo's last picture, but I fixed it back up afterwards! :) I try to keep it maintained when I spot-clean morning and evening! If anyone has an idea on how to keep these shirts into place, I'd appreciate it! XD
I worried about Creamypuff too but after a whole year I've learned that when I'm not with her, her sister is always close by. If you watch you will probably notice one or all the girls keeping close by.

As for you wire bottom... I hear ya! I have tried many different things with our cage. When I got my piggies and made their coroplast base it was like a light bulb. I made a coroplast base to sit in the botton of the cage and cut out pieces to zip tie to the shelves and ramps... Get the small zip ties and an ice pick to make the holes. It takes a little work but its worth not having to worry about little ratty feet and throwing away so much fabric. Hope this helps you and if you need a more detailed explanation on what I did just ask OK.

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Here is a moment photo ( cage is a mess but they love it)
image.jpg
they work on their one big cloth f a year now leaving other bedding in peace so we don't mind them feeling in control of their house.
Wehave flower pots trays for the 1 st floor kitchen area - it is a great solution!
image.jpg

Its not not easy to post from the iPad:( sorry about the turned photo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.