Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What vegetables do you feed your piggies?

OldUserTM

Cavy Slave
Hello, what vegetables do you feed to your piggies and about how much?

Last edited:

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs should be fed at least a cup of fresh veggies a day :)

Mine like romaine lettuce, red and green peppers, parsley, and the occasional carrot and cucumber the best. Bitters especially loves citrus fruits and Theo loves blueberries, but they're so high in sugar we only feed them rarely, as special treats, and only in small amounts. When I can find clean, untreated grass, they love that as well :)

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Daily, they each get:

• 1 1/2 large red leaf lettuce leaves (and around the same amount for smaller leaves)
  • 1/6 green bell pepper (I've also used yellow on occasion)
  • 1 small/med baby carrot (or 1/2 of a large one)

I also give them a little of whatever is on hand, fed according to this chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

The produce around here tends to be lackluster at best, so I'm usually only able to give them some cucumber, apple, or celery on a semi-regular basis. I'd also give them tomatoes, but unfortunately, my piggies don't like them.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Daily:
1 or 2 green leaf lettuce leaves (or red leaf or romaine if I can't get green leaf)
1/5 green bell pepper (they will eat other colors but prefer green, plus it's cheaper)
1 baby carrot

Occasional treats:
A few sprigs of Cilantro
A bit of radicchio (stuff's expensive)
1 or 2 green beans
Small piece of melon

jade_14

Cavy Slave
Green leaf or red leaf lettuce daily, usually green leaf because I like it for my own salads :) baby carrot daily for each, the odd cucumber, cilantro, grape tomatoes, green pepper, romaine lettuce or whatever I have on hand. I don't measure the lettuce but they each have a small dish I fill morning and night for them, at least a cup for each.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I have two baby guinea girls who like sweet things, they usually get 2 full leafs of red leaf or romaine lettuce, a radicchio leaf cut in half, and 4 1cm thick slices of bell pepper every day along with either carrots, basil, mint, dill, kohlrabi, cilantro, tomato, or white grapes.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Twice a day! : Kale (1-3 big leaves of kale), 4-5 leaves of spinach and half a big regular sized carrot (sliced)

I've got 3 piggies though. That's why twice a day. I also notice they like to go back and forth between veggies, a bit of hay munching, then a bit of water, and then munch on Oxbow pellets, and then back to veggies. Often they take a 10 min nap and then go back to veggies. It takes them on average about 1 hour for all 3 to finish a big serving/plate of veggies.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Twice a day! : Kale (1-3 big leaves of kale), 4-5 leaves of spinach and half a big regular sized carrot (sliced)

I've got 3 piggies though. That's why twice a day. I also notice they like to go back and forth between veggies, a bit of hay munching, then a bit of water, and then munch on Oxbow pellets, and then back to veggies. Often they take a 10 min nap and then go back to veggies. It takes them on average about 1 hour for all 3 to finish a big serving/plate of veggies.

How old are your guinea pigs? Kale and spinach are high in calcium and are a good diet for guinea pigs under 6 months that need the extra calcium but too high in calcium for adults. Leafy greens like romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, radicchio, endive and escarole are better choices for adults.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
Oh dear, thank you for telling me! I'll change this. They are quite young. The youngest is about 2 months. The oldest could be as old as 1.5 years. I've only had them about 1 month so I really appreciate the heads up. Thank you for the list also!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.