Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmarti58

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Been picked on on every animal board I've ever been on, not putting up with it anymore. That's all.

msmarti58

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I listened I did it all. Didn't work. The end.

msmarti58

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Cat board dog board now Guinea pig board. Always know it alls. Want off.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
You aren't being picked on. The people here have some of the largest amounts of experience with Guinea pigs than anywhere else and the advice you gain here far surpasses any you will see elsewhere. We at this forum do not stroke egos, and we will not pat you on the back for going against tried and true practices with these animals. Our first priority is the health and safety of your pigs not giving you the warm and fuzzies. -edited for autocorrect

msmarti58

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I will just step away then. Trying to find a way to get unsubscribed. How can I leave? I am very stressed right now trying to sell my house and spent so much money on these guinea pigs, thousands. Got the biggest cage I could find. At wits end. Fleece, more cages, more toys, more fleece for new cage, on and on. Broke and in debt. Thought it would be like mice rats and gerbils, all of which I have had. No issues. Have had cats. Have a dog. Am a VERY good pet owner love them more than people.

msmarti58

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Don't need lectured like I'm a recalcitrant child. I did as suggested. Out of ideas. The cage is still too small for three boars.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
But you didn't follow the advice you were given. If you did all three pigs would be in a neutral area for multiple hours and be returned to an impeccably cleaned cage only after all three were getting along. Guinea pigs are nothing like any of the other companion rodents as you may have noticed. All the more reason to take the advice of the people who chose to help you. I do have to ask though since you say you are broke and in debt how will you be able to give the pig with cancer any medical attention he will most surely need? If the pig who was bitten develops an abscess which is very common and difficult to treat in this animals, will you be able to get him the mess and potential surgery that comes with abscess surgery? Exotic vets are very expensive and by ignoring the advice you have been given there is a good chance that will lead to a one way ticket to massive vet bills. Once again our first priority is the health and welfare of these animals not the egos and pride of their owners. If you want someone that will hold your hand and look the other way while you ignore the advice of expiriance do keepers you are in the wrong place. If you want the best advice for Guinea pig care and people who are devoted to the safety and welfare of these complex little critters then you found it.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
The problem is as long as you do not follow the advice that bpatters gave you, it doesn't matter what size cage they have it just will not work with 3 boars until you follow those instructions like they are law. Even then there is still a chance that a trio of boars will not get along. That can't even be determined until intros are done properly.

msmarti58

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Well sorry, I can't do anymore, as I said. Too exhausted, no time. If it doesn't work I will just keep them all separate or give to rescue. I thought they would be an inexpensive pet for the condo I'm moving into.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Here's my recommendation. Since you'll be moving, keep them separated for now. Plan to do at least 4 hours long introduction after the move. The new place will be their new territory.

Before putting all of them into the same cage, wash everything with white vinegar. Wipe down the cage bars, coroplast, water bottles, and bowls with white vinegar. This will help remove all their scents from the cage. If you have any wooden items that you can't wash, put it away for now.

If you can build your own cage, you can make it bigger. A 3x5 or 3x6 will work better. See this link: https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

All hideys in the cage must have multiple doors, so they can't trap each other. Fleece scraps draped over the corners will work well for this. They can run through and hide under, without trapping each other. Each pig needs his own hidey, don't expect them to share. Same goes with food bowls and water bottles.
Also will help if you put piles of hay at different ends of the cage.

I find that it helps to keep them on disposable bedding the first few weeks together. I throw a pile of hay or veggies into the cage when they look like they're about to fight.

Also see this link for helpful tips.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46468

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.