Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are guinea pigs noisy

OldUserTM

Cavy Slave
I need to know of guinea pigs are noisy if I were to have them in my room would they keep me up and do they sleep at night?

Depends on your guinea pigs and how deep a sleeper you are. For the most part, they'll settle down when the lights go out, but there will be the occasional water bottle noises when one gets thirsty and sometimes you'll hear them walking around or softly squeaking at each other. Mine are in my room and I don't mind it at all, in fact I like the reassurance that they're there and healthy and that I'm not alone, but I know they could keep some people up.

In the daytime, though, they'll make a racket if they think you're going to feed them and run around. Wheek! Wheek! Wheek!

If you're a light sleeper, they'll definitely keep you up. I can't sleep in the same room with mine without ear plugs.

I'm a fairly light sleeper but I'm fortunate that mine don't usually make a lot of noise at night. While I'm away at school I have 4 pigs that live in my bedroom and they rarely keep me up.

Guinea pigs are crepuscular, meaning they are more active at dawn and dusk. My sows are quite energetic in the morning, around 7-8ish and are also very active in the evening between 10-midnight.

Not usually. If doubtful, try earplugs. Otherwise, try to accommodate some other living area in your house. If you have skinny pigs please be mindful that they usually require warmer temperatures than the fluffier/regular guinea pigs.

It depends on your pigs. I am a light sleeper but was fine with having three guinea pigs in my room. They seemed to intentionally quiet down after I turned the lights out at night and wouldn't bother me unless I was very late getting out of bed in the morning to feed them. Even then they only started wheeking if I turned over or gave some other indication of being awake. My two new girls on the other hand will chirp and wheek in the middle of the night with little provocation. If I go to the kitchen to get a drink in the middle of the night they try to wake the whole house.

I would not keep guinea pigs in the bedroom. you can get used to their sounds but they are noisy little things.

Mine is always up at the most random times of the night so I never sleep in the same room. They just don't have the same sleep pattern as me.

I imagine it depends on the pigs, but mine settle down a lot when I turn the lights out. They still do make noise but they are much quieter. If your someone like me that needs a bit of sound to sleep;I actually find my piggies noises actually help me get to sleep. I enjoy just laying in bed just focusing on their little sounds. Mine are little noise machines if the lights are on though. lol

On the weekends during the summer, we bring the g-pigs with us to the camper. their cage is right next my bed. Once the lights are off, they settle down to sleep.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.