Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Are guinea pigs noisy

I need to know of guinea pigs are noisy if I were to have them in my room would they keep me up and do they sleep at night?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    201 Rec'd/188 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)

Re: Are guinea pigs noisy

Depends on your guinea pigs and how deep a sleeper you are. For the most part, they'll settle down when the lights go out, but there will be the occasional water bottle noises when one gets thirsty and sometimes you'll hear them walking around or softly squeaking at each other. Mine are in my room and I don't mind it at all, in fact I like the reassurance that they're there and healthy and that I'm not alone, but I know they could keep some people up.

In the daytime, though, they'll make a racket if they think you're going to feed them and run around. Wheek! Wheek! Wheek!

3. "Thank you, jaycriae, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

If you're a light sleeper, they'll definitely keep you up. I can't sleep in the same room with mine without ear plugs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    515 Rec'd/415 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)

I'm a fairly light sleeper but I'm fortunate that mine don't usually make a lot of noise at night. While I'm away at school I have 4 pigs that live in my bedroom and they rarely keep me up.

Guinea pigs are crepuscular, meaning they are more active at dawn and dusk. My sows are quite energetic in the morning, around 7-8ish and are also very active in the evening between 10-midnight.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I'm a heavy sleeper, but my pigs also don't make a lot of noise. I don't have them in my bedroom except when I'm staying in a hotel or visiting someplace, but all I hear is them moving around at night and occasionally harassing each other.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Not usually. If doubtful, try earplugs. Otherwise, try to accommodate some other living area in your house. If you have skinny pigs please be mindful that they usually require warmer temperatures than the fluffier/regular guinea pigs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

It depends on your pigs. I am a light sleeper but was fine with having three guinea pigs in my room. They seemed to intentionally quiet down after I turned the lights out at night and wouldn't bother me unless I was very late getting out of bed in the morning to feed them. Even then they only started wheeking if I turned over or gave some other indication of being awake. My two new girls on the other hand will chirp and wheek in the middle of the night with little provocation. If I go to the kitchen to get a drink in the middle of the night they try to wake the whole house.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

I would not keep guinea pigs in the bedroom. you can get used to their sounds but they are noisy little things.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mine is always up at the most random times of the night so I never sleep in the same room. They just don't have the same sleep pattern as me.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I imagine it depends on the pigs, but mine settle down a lot when I turn the lights out. They still do make noise but they are much quieter. If your someone like me that needs a bit of sound to sleep;I actually find my piggies noises actually help me get to sleep. I enjoy just laying in bed just focusing on their little sounds. Mine are little noise machines if the lights are on though.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the weekends during the summer, we bring the g-pigs with us to the camper. their cage is right next my bed. Once the lights are off, they settle down to sleep.

User Tag List