Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat so my kid wants a guinea pig...

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
image.jpg
Better picture

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on Lilly! Glad to hear she is safely home. Hope your drive went well. Can't wait to see some closer pictures!

IrenLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
I say go for it just b prepared for the responsibilities. It mght get messy. I got my first piggy in 2011 and he was 3

I got my second piggy last new year. My first piggy loves my second. U might consider getting 2 pigs so they have each other. They r pack animals and like other pigs to live with. Remember to get two males or two females. Unless u want Childeren then I advise u not getting a male and female.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
Starting to get a bit worried she hasn't come out of her hide at all and hasn't touched any food, hay, water or veggies... I even dropped the horrible treat the guy who gave her to us sent us home with and nothing I'm considering taking the treat out but I read on guinea lynx that 12 hours of non eating is dangerous I'm going to put some fresh veggies in as i took out the ones u brought to pick her up (they were getting soft and gross) she's paying attention to everything happening in the house and room but the lack of interest in veggies is worrying me I put some hay close to her hide and I'll put some veggies there too and hope for the best... She has been home and in her cage for about 5 hours... What should I do if she's not eating by the morning?

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
Ok I just put fresh veggies in ill leave it till morning and see.
Yes she's super happy we all are :) can't wait to see Lilly come out of her shell

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
I will def. update as soon as shes out and about :)
im checking on her often and go in to talk to her.
we got home around 1:30 its now getting close to 7pm and the kiddo will be going to sleep soon so hopefully the darker room and quiet will calm her down.

she was with other females but her mother was in another cage, apparently they didnt know which one was the mom of which babies and a few others got pregnant at the same time from a mis-sexed male who is now gone to a new home. (there was 3 sows who got pregnant by the mis-sexed male and the litters were all born with-in 2 days)
they were housed out in a covered deck and there was a ton of chickens running around (by ton i mean like 40) the guinea pigs pens but all the animals looked healthy and well cared for (even if he was feeding food with colored bits and petstore treats just wasnt a very well informed person on how to properly care for them)

so i know its prob. going to be a lot harder to gain her trust due to being taken away alone and brought inside where there is no constant chicken noises but now human noises. she was easy to catch and easy to get from the bin into her cage though so maybe she was handled often (she did try to run but settled down once caught) but man does she love her little blanket in her hide house.

love her coloring shes been giving me only one side of her all day which is dark brown and white she turned around in her house and just realized how beautiful her markings are the other 1/2 is a med. cream color and white.
reminds me of a guinea pig version of that chimera cat lol

scoottie

Cavy Slave
You might want to cover part of her cage so she feels a little more safe. Someone peering down on her could be very scary.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
already did that :) but thanks

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Starting to get a bit worried she hasn't come out of her hide at all and hasn't touched any food, hay, water or veggies... I even dropped the horrible treat the guy who gave her to us sent us home with and nothing I'm considering taking the treat out but I read on guinea lynx that 12 hours of non eating is dangerous I'm going to put some fresh veggies in as i took out the ones u brought to pick her up (they were getting soft and gross) she's paying attention to everything happening in the house and room but the lack of interest in veggies is worrying me I put some hay close to her hide and I'll put some veggies there too and hope for the best... She has been home and in her cage for about 5 hours... What should I do if she's not eating by the morning?

I bet she will eat overnight when no one is watching. My new guy Randy did that for about a week - would only eat when no one is watching. Even now nearly 2 months later, for some reason he doesn't want us to see him eat hay. He will eat veggies and pellets no problem, but if we are in the room he will not eat hay!

I would recommend to also put her water bottle as close to her hidey house as possible. Like with the spout actually going in the door, if you can.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
my coroplast is a bit too high Ill have to cut into it will that cause her to be more scared for longer? she did explore her cage before she went to hide could i maybe fill up a little dish of water and put it over there for her?

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
A small bowl of water will work. Just make sure it's heavy so it won't tip. I had to give my girls water from a bowl when I first got them and they drank just fine.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
okay so I have a pile of hay, pellets, dish of water and veggies. all just outside of her hide house (with some room from the door so that if she does want to explore she can.) I also have a blanket over the 1/2 the cage in the hopes that, that will help.
im not going into the room for the next few hours but will be checking from the doorway. if she still hasnt eaten by tomorrow what should i do?

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
omg i forgot i had green pepper! i didnt put any on the veggie pile ill do that now thanks for the reminder!
shes 2 months old so the extra calcium should be okay for her right? should i try putting a leaf of spinach there too? to be perfectly honest im not sure what veggies if any she ate but the old guy did send me home with 2 petstore treats that he gives them (so i doubt he did give veggies) I put them in her hide house with her after i realized she wasnt eating at all because i figured that would be something she would eat however i was wrong. she wont touch them (thankfully lol) the son doesnt know so ill have to wait until he gets in contact with his dad to let me know.

ill try to hand feed her tomorrow i did try earlier but she just froze. it could be possible she never had veggies before (though he had piles of beautiful fresh hay and she could care less about hay atm)

Edit: I was just cleaning out the bin i brought her home in and she did pee quite a bit so she was hydrated, and i think i see a wet spot back behind the hide house (where she sat frozen for a while the past hour she just moved when i put the green pepper in and added a couple drops of water to the lettuce and carrot)

Last edited:

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
im sure we have it ill pick some of that up too at this point I just want to get her to eat veggies esp. if she was never given any... I was a bit to busy calming my kid down from all the chickens (she thought they were going to peck her legs) so i stupidly forgot to check if they used water bottles or bowls -.- next time it will be a solo trip to pick up pigs so i dont forget to ask/look for things

Good news though! i just went and checked on her and she is back to sitting outside of her hide house (she went out the back and it just against the coroplast kinda looking around not exploring yet but thats a step forward!

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
hahaha it took every once of bravery for me to even walk through all those chickens I hate hate hate birds of any kind wings and beaks just horrify me my mom used to have a bird that would attack you for coffee (old house it used to live in they let her drink coffee and she was addicted) after that thing i cant stand to be around them and have to do everything to not show how scared i am due to my kid being one of those who picks up on it and will remember it forever. lol
ill be going to bed soon so hopefully i wake up to a few less pellets a little bit less water and some veggies disappearing!

i did lift the lid and cleaned out the hide house (the nasty petstore treat and a green pepper i put in there) and she didnt run away she just stayed in her spot! so thats a bonus :)
Thanks Kelsie just having someone to update and chat with has helped a ton with the over worrying :)

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
Well she is out of her hide house and looks like she was exploring a bit last night, but it doesnt look like she ate or drank anything... she MIGHT have had a few nibbles of hay but not enough to make it noticeable... she didnt even touch the veggies...
what should i do at this point? im going to put fresh veggies in now

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
forgot to update this!

she still hasnt had any of her pellets and we lifted up her hide house to check if there was any poops (there were) she didnt touch any veggies water or pellets that i can tell last night.
so today when we lifted up the house (i took it out for a bit) she perked up went to munch on hay (while our hands were in there) she ate a few small bits of carrot (about the size of one baby carrot cut into 1/6's) had some more hay explored a bit. she totally came out of her shell but as soon as the hide house was back in she went back in and hasnt moved. i put her bowl of pellets in with her and she will take carrot out of our hands when shes in her hide but doesnt leave at all.

as long as the hide house is out of the cage she doesnt freak out from sounds, hands, us moving things in the cage etc. im almost considering removing the house for the next few days until shes eating and drinking (i do have a blanket on the lid of 1/2 the cage and she has a bed in there) but because this is our 1st guinea pig im not sure thats a great idea

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear she is eating some! It's good you are finding poops - if something is coming out, then something must be going in! Just keep all the right things in there for her - hay, pellets, veggies - and she'll find something she likes. Also remember she is young so she doesn't need as much as a full grown pig. My 5-month-old Randy eats way less than my two full-grown girls.

I wouldn't worry about her hiding so much. The fact that she comes out and eats and sits still while you have your hands in is great! My Randy would seriously have a full blown guinea pig panic attack every time I put my hand in there for about a week! Now just 6 weeks later, he is pretty calm, seems to understand that my hand in there is nothing to fear, and even recently starting taking naps outside of his hidey house. So give Lilly some time and it sounds like she will be a sociable calm piggy!

Got any closer pictures yet? I just love following your story with her and your daughter.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
I took it out again ill keep it out for a few hours she ate some pellets after i took it out!! still dont think she has had any water but the veggies were wet so i feel a lot better about that :)

I dont have anything else set up in there but there is a whole 3/4 of her cage covered with a blanket and her bed is in one of the covered corners and her blanket in the other, shes laying down on her blanket in one of the corners doesnt seem bothered by the hide being removed at all she seems really comfy lol

yes she is a abyssinian odd ball markings too i cant wait to get good pictures of her. each side of her body looks like a whole different guinea pig (minus the head) lol one side is smoother shorter hair the other is full crazy aby hair. and totally different colors. reminds me of the body version of that chimera cat who has a 1/2 back side and 1/2 orange (i think) side though it looks like its only on that cats face. Lilly has it on her body, you can see the almost perfect line on her chest of where the light colored side and dark colored side meet.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
no new pictures yet my ipad was dead today when i wanted to take one :( (darn that car ride lol)

she wasnt coming out to eat until i gave her no choice when i took the hide house out but now that shes eating and taking stuff from our hands im not too worried :) she even took one of those oxbow vita c from my hand she lets us get our hands really close but jumped when i attempted to touch her i think tomorrow we might do some lap time.

any advice for that? should i keep her wrapped in a little towel or blanket when i do it? and how should i catch her by hand or with her little blanket? im assuming its a good idea to have her fave veggie ready for her to munch on during lap time

Savanna said when i tucked her in today that she loves Lilly and shes really happy we got her. :) cant wait to get her a friend after christmas!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.