Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos Fresh Cage Friday!

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
I don't know about you, but I love deep cleaning my girls' cage. :heart: Happy piggies popcorning, the smell of fresh bedding, pristine poop-free fleece...ahhh. :) Some would say that I'm probably crazy for enjoying this on a Friday night, but I do. Part cleaning, part quality time with the piggies, all therapeutic to me. :eek:

Here are some of our pics from tonight.

image.jpg
Cookie the camera hog. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg
Cookie, sitting in the pellet dish, while Oreo was trying to get a morsel of food.

Sadly, I couldn't get a non fuzzy shot of Oreo, but I was able to capture her (and the Cookster) tearing up some spinach and strawberries before I cleaned the cage. I may upload the video if I can get YouTube to cooperate with me. ;)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Ooh, that hanging fleece thing looks like something my pigs would enjoy. Maybe I'll make something like that sometime.

I like to clean my pig's cage too, although it's a much messier affair since I have to use Carefresh. I mostly like it because I always give my pigs floor time during it, and so they're always running around my feet and looking at me like "When are you going to be done?!" (Odeta and Bitters do, anyway. Theo usually snuggles in a blanket the whole time. Sometimes she begs to be put in the hamper so she can play in the dirty laundry, weirdo.) And then after I put them back they popcorn sometimes even before I give them hay because they're so excited for everything to be clean again.

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
My girls have been enjoying the hanging fleece hidey. Usually they both snuggle together in the pigloo, but occasionally when they need space, one will go hide beneath the fleece vines.

I love watching them popcorn in a nice clean habitat too. Oh, and don't get them started on their timothy hay. Wheek, wheek, wheek is all I hear, non stop. :heart: Ahhh, heaven to my ears.

How do you like just using Carefresh? My girls are finally starting to get the idea of using the bathroom more exclusively in the kitchen area versus everywhere, so I'm having to change the Carefresh part more regularly. They sure can do their business like it's nobody's business. :) ;)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I don't mind the Carefresh, but I do wish I could use fleece because it's just so dusty. Odeta always gets agitated picking at the fleece and trying to go under it, though, plus my mom gives me a hard time about the massive loads of laundry and how the fleece doesn't really help with the smell So Carefresh it is.

I know right? Now that my girls are older they don't popcorn as much, the only time it's guaranteed is after cage cleaning. Although Bitters has started wheeking whenever I get in the room, and after giving her hay didn't stop her, I realized she was begging to be picked up. Sweet baby. :D

PenelopePig

Cavy Gazer
Super cute piggy! Nothing like a freshly cleaned cage

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
I don't mind the Carefresh, but I do wish I could use fleece because it's just so dusty. Odeta always gets agitated picking at the fleece and trying to go under it, though, plus my mom gives me a hard time about the massive loads of laundry and how the fleece doesn't really help with the smell So Carefresh it is.

I know right? Now that my girls are older they don't popcorn as much, the only time it's guaranteed is after cage cleaning. Although Bitters has started wheeking whenever I get in the room, and after giving her hay didn't stop her, I realized she was begging to be picked up. Sweet baby. :D

How much laundry? I do a small load for my girls each weekend which includes their fleece and the towel I keep underneath it. What I've been doing lately and it works like a charm is to have cardboard covering the coroplast, the placing the towel, then the fleece; it helps absorb urine (more so now in the kitchen) and keeps odor at bay.

Aww, I love a good "hold me!" wheek! :) <3

lydiagintn23

Cavy Slave
So, is that CareFresh that you're using in the kitchen area?

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
Oh, she's a charmer!! Besides being adorably cute, she's also super vocal too! My husband says she's more of a razorback than an ordinary pig because of her in charger, I'm the boss personality. If you do proceed with the pig-napping, be prepared, she's a veggie monster. *nom nom eat all the greens* :)

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
So, is that CareFresh that you're using in the kitchen area?

Yes, it is! I splurged and got the confetti colored mix last time I made a bedding run. I couldn't resist the colors.

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
Whoa. So I just spent the past two hours deep cleaning "Cavy Kingdom." Note to self: Baby pink fleece was a bad idea. :(

Besides getting everything squeaky clean, I played around with my girls' cage layout. I think they liked the change up, thanks to lots of popcorning and laps made around the cage. It might have just been the veggies though. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Though I normally am not a camo fan, I think this is my favorite fleece. Also, I apologize that some of my pictures are sideways. I am uploading via my iPhone and I don't see any tools or options to flip them to the correct angle.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Very lovely! I really need to get some of those hanging things, we used to have one (over a year ago, I know, because it was pre-Prieta) and I remember Odeta loved it but she managed to mess with it enough to pull off the bell. Then she'd just nose the metal thing back and forth and watch it swing. Maybe I'd have more luck with the ball, haha.

Does having a kitchen area make spot-cleaning easier or just regular cleaning?

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
Very lovely! I really need to get some of those hanging things, we used to have one (over a year ago, I know, because it was pre-Prieta) and I remember Odeta loved it but she managed to mess with it enough to pull off the bell. Then she'd just nose the metal thing back and forth and watch it swing. Maybe I'd have more luck with the ball, haha.

Does having a kitchen area make spot-cleaning easier or just regular cleaning?

I really love having the hanging veggie kabob and ball basket thing. It helps keep their veggies from getting nasty in the CareFresh kitchen area. Also, it is fun to watch them get excited about their treats while playing with the hanging thingies. That's a word, right? :D

The kitchen really helps keep the hay from getting spread all over the fleece. Lately, the girls have been urinating in the kitchen which helps keep the fleece dry. Poop-wise, the girls prefer to poop in their hiding areas, which really doesn't bother me. I'd say the kitchen makes spot cleaning and deep cleaning more efficient since most of the mess (due to hay) is contained on one side of the cage. Hopefully that made sense, haha. I don't normally stay up this late and I'm exhausted. Nighty night, friend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.