Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Care For Blind Guinea Pig

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
So, after I took my guinea pig George to the vet today for a wellness exam and found out he is completely blind! I really need your guys help on his care. Is their anything I should know? Any changes I should make to his cage?

Food: oxbow young guinea pig pelletes, a cup of veggies, timothy hay, and orchard grass
Here's his cage:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just keep things in the cage in the same place so he learns where they are. Blind pigs generally do very well.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
He could use a piggy partner to help him around.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is true, @poop_patrol. I know of several blind guinea pigs who had been housed alone, but were much happier and more social when paired with another pig.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Does he have anything to chew on? It doesn't look like there's anything wooden for him to wear his teeth down on in the cage, and guinea pigs need to be able to chew so their teeth wear down at the same rate they grow. Fruit woods are great for this. Other than that, I concur w bpatters and poop_patrol.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, actually, wood chews are useless for wearing down teeth as they don't get to the back molars, which are just as important as the incisors. Hay is the only way to keep the teeth and digestive system healthy.

Hope your piggie does well! I've never cared for a blind pig but I know some members here may have experience. I agree with poop_patrol and bpatters' inputs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @PiggleLove2013. They do NOT need wood to wear their incisors down. The grinding action of the molars on the hay is what keeps the molars ground down and the incisors the proper length. In fact, overgrown or slanted incisors are the first signs of problems with the molars.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Just keep things in the cage in the same place so he learns where they are. Blind pigs generally do very well.
Thank you I'll do that

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
He could use a piggy partner to help him around.
He has his brother in the cage his name is Jack and he's very helpful! here they are togther:

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
This is true, @poop_patrol. I know of several blind guinea pigs who had been housed alone, but were much happier and more social when paired with another pig.
Thank you he's housed with Jack

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Does he have anything to chew on? It doesn't look like there's anything wooden for him to wear his teeth down on in the cage, and guinea pigs need to be able to chew so their teeth wear down at the same rate they grow. Fruit woods are great for this. Other than that, I concur w bpatters and poop_patrol.
He does here are some of his toys: (grass ball, willow football, cardboard tubes filled with hay and pine cone)

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, actually, wood chews are useless for wearing down teeth as they don't get to the back molars, which are just as important as the incisors. Hay is the only way to keep the teeth and digestive system healthy.

Hope your piggie does well! I've never cared for a blind pig but I know some members here may have experience. I agree with poop_patrol and bpatters' inputs.

My Piggies are both doing very well and they have quite a lot of hay.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Wow, never knew that. This is why I love this forum, completely corrects problems with conventional knowledge.

In that case, everything looks great!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Wow, never knew that. This is why I love this forum, completely corrects problems with conventional knowledge.

In that case, everything looks great!
Thank you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.