Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts

Joey and rufus

Hey guys! I am swapnil. I am 17. I am from India.I HAVE TWO BABY FEMALE GUINEA PIGS. ( i named them joey and rufus cuz the pet store said they are male but when the vet checked,he found out they arefemale)
    they are about 21 days old now. They are cute and they are kinda scared from me but sometimes they come and they love getting petted. they dont it when i pick them up but when i do they seem to enjoy it and they relax. soemthing that bothers me alot is in india,i dont find ennough stuff for their upbringingment. no sign of timothy hay,no pellets etc.We do have a food for guinea pigs called vitapol food for guinea pigs. I dont know how it is. the cages here sucks. so i decided to make one with cardboard box,maybe? i made their hideout too since the igloo costed 2800 rupees and its quite expensive. anyway they like their hiding place,since its huge. any suggestions for me?
    i use cloth as their bedding.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Joey and rufus

First off, welcome to the forums!

Hay is an essential for guinea pigs. They must have it. Are you sure there are no pet stores around? Most petstores have them. I think @bpatters knows about drying grass and which ones are safe.
    And I guess you could get away with no pellets but it will be harder. Again I think @bpatters knows more about that as well.
    You cannot use cardboard as a substitute for coroplast, it will get urine soaked through and ruin it. Are there any sign stores near you? You can usually get some coroplast there.
    What type of cloth do you use? We need to make sure it's absorbent.
    Again, welcome to the forums!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix187 View Post
    First off, welcome to the forums!

Hay is an essential for guinea pigs. They must have it. Are you sure there are no pet stores around? Most petstores have them. I think @bpatters knows about drying grass and which ones are safe.
    And I guess you could get away with no pellets but it will be harder. Again I think @bpatters knows more about that as well.
    You cannot use cardboard as a substitute for coroplast, it will get urine soaked through and ruin it. Are there any sign stores near you? You can usually get some coroplast there.
    What type of cloth do you use? We need to make sure it's absorbent.
    Again, welcome to the forums!
    Thank you so much for your warm welcome..
    Well I thought of using different layers though like different layers of cloth..so can I use cardboard because they won't have direct contact with it. And I use cotton. Its little bit absorbent. Any way I have two pair of it and I clean the poop whenever I see and when I come from school everyday I wash it with disinfectant and keep the other pair of the cloth in d cage. Why is it important to have absorbent. Just curious. And I do have two pet stores they are so near to my house but they are crazy. They ask me to feed my babies with milk,puffed rice and wheat grains. Also I noticed they didn't cut adult guinea pig nails and they have started curling . I felt so bad. My exams are getting over tommorow so I m going to the end of the city to find good stuff..my city is huge n always full of traffic. I have a huge lawn in my apartment where I used to feed my bunnies fresh grass but they died cuz the garderner put pesticides and didn't inform me so I don't take my babies their since I don't trust the gardeners of my apartment. Thanks again!!

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Cotton is not good bedding.

If you're going to use cloth of any kind, you need a top layer that will wick the urine through to the underneath absorbent layer. The whole idea is that the wicking layer (usually fleece) stays dry, so there's no danger of them getting bumblefoot. If you leave them on wet cloth (anything other than fleece or suede cloth or something like Zorb, you're running the risk of foot infections.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts

oh my god ! then i ll find fleece oh my god.!!! thanks

User Tag List