Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Bleeding guinea pig

kyleerose

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, named rio seems to be bleeding and i know it is not from any injury on the outside of her body. I picked her up to put her back in her cage earlier today and my hand which was supporting her butt had blood all on it. I've noticed she makes quiet high pitched noises and from what i've googled it seems as she might have a UTI, i heard her making the squeaking noise so i went over to see if she had peed and to check is there was still blood in it but it was some stool which i picked up with a kleenex and seemed to also have a bit of blood on it, does this mean it may be something other than a UTI or does the slightly bloody stool not change anything, she has been acting normal like nothing is wrong the only thing i've noticed is the squeaks and the blood. i'm bringing her to a vet tomorrow but i've been very concerned and wanted to see if i could get any advice from other guinea pig owners, thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and tries to help i appreciate it greatly

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are three common possibilities for bleeding from the rear end.

1) Urinary tract infection, but usually the blood is very dilute from that. If what you're seeing is bright red blood, a UTI may be present but it's not likely the main problem.

2) Some sort of digestive upset, where the pig is bleeding from the lower GI tract.

3) Pyometra, which is an infection of the uterus.

Squeaking when pooping is a classic sign of a urinary tract stone. It may be that she has one, and that it's in the urethra and has irritated it, which would cause the actual blood that you see.

It's a good thing you're going to the vet, but don't bother going to a dog and cat vet. You need an exotic vet who can accurately diagnose and treat the problem.

What you can do in the meantime is make sure that she's eating, drinking and pooping normally.

kyleerose

Cavy Slave
thank you very much for such quick help!!! are any of these possibilities fatal? the vet i go to is a cat and dog vet but they did give me a number that is for exotic pets when i went there for the first time with them that i lost so i will still go to get that number and the location then i will go there tomorrow. she is definitely finding it painful while pooping which i had not noticed until very recent, i thought it was just when she peed but i just watched her squeak and she only pooped. The blood is very red, i'm very very concerned, worried, and feeling guilty, do you think there might be a chance she wont make it though the night? it hurts my heart every time i hear her squeaks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If treated promptly, the pig usually recovers. I wish I could tell you that I'm 100% sure she'll be ok, but guinea pigs can go downhill in a hurry, so nobody can guarantee you that. Just get her to the good exotic vet tomorrow.

My bet is on a stone in the urethra. If you (and she) are lucky, they'll be able to manipulate it out without having to do surgery. If that's the case, you'll have to make some dietary changes to reduce the amount of calcium in her diet.

How old is she?

kyleerose

Cavy Slave
I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best, sometimes her urine has just a tint of red but there has been a couple times where it just looks like straight blood no urine at all. She is only about 1 and a half, i'm only 18 so i'm really hoping surgery wont be necessary as i don't have the money for that but i will absolutely work my ass off to get the money if i need to

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, if it is a stone, it will be a medical emergency and they'll want to do surgery pretty quickly. The danger with a stone is that one that is too large to pass to the outside can fall into her urethra and totally block the flow of urine. The urine then backs up into the kidneys, causing problems there, and the pig is in a lot of pain because of the distended bladder.

For future reference, those high pitched squeaking noises are usually announcing that she's got a stone, and the sooner you get her to a vet the easier it will be to treat. They never improve on their own, so there's no point in waiting and hoping.

kyleerose

Cavy Slave
If we go and they say they want to do surgery my parents will be willing to pay at that moment and i'll just have to pay them back so i think that will be ok, she only just started making the noises very late last night before i went to bed, i'm a very paranoid person so as soon as i see something that could be bad i try and figure it out as soon as possible, since it was sunday my parents told me all vets would be closed and as i'm googling exotic vets near by they all were closed today, going to go in as soon as possible tomorrow, i really do appreciate all your help!!!! thank you so much

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Let us know what happens and how she gets along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.