Thread: New Guinea Pig: Where Should I Put Second Cage?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

New Guinea Pig: Where Should I Put Second Cage?

I just got a new guinea pig. She is an American Crested and she is about 5-7 months old. My other guinea pig is about 7 months old and is an American tri-color.

I have my first guinea pig in her normal C&C cage. I have my new guinea pig in a temporary store bought cage (the one her previous owner had). She's in the cage for the quarantine period.

What I am wondering is:

Where in the room should I put the new pig's quarantine store-bought cage? I was thinking it might be a good idea to put the cages next to each other so that they can see, hear, and smell each other before they are in the same space, but I am now wondering if it is too soon to have their cages next to each other.

My first pig is biting the bars of her cage in trying to get to the other one. The new one is very friendly and seems to be interested in meeting her (they'll put their noses through their bars and sniff each other, but it seems like they're also gently biting each other).

What should I do?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,157 Rec'd/5,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3725 Post(s)

Re: New Guinea Pig: Where Should I Put Second Cage?

Quarantine should be in another room so there's no chance of airborne diseases passing from one to the other. If you put the cages next to each other, you might as well go ahead and introduce them. If the cages are close to each other, all sots of diseases AND parasites can be transmitted.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Re: New Guinea Pig: Where Should I Put Second Cage?

Putting her in another room is not an option with the living situation I currently have. I have already read information about putting them in separate rooms. I am pretty positive that she is not sick because her previous owner did not see any symptoms. The best I can do is put her at the opposite end of the room.

User Tag List