Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine New Guinea Pig: Where Should I Put Second Cage?

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
I just got a new guinea pig. She is an American Crested and she is about 5-7 months old. My other guinea pig is about 7 months old and is an American tri-color.

I have my first guinea pig in her normal C&C cage. I have my new guinea pig in a temporary store bought cage (the one her previous owner had). She's in the cage for the quarantine period.

What I am wondering is:

Where in the room should I put the new pig's quarantine store-bought cage? I was thinking it might be a good idea to put the cages next to each other so that they can see, hear, and smell each other before they are in the same space, but I am now wondering if it is too soon to have their cages next to each other.

My first pig is biting the bars of her cage in trying to get to the other one. The new one is very friendly and seems to be interested in meeting her (they'll put their noses through their bars and sniff each other, but it seems like they're also gently biting each other).

What should I do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Quarantine should be in another room so there's no chance of airborne diseases passing from one to the other. If you put the cages next to each other, you might as well go ahead and introduce them. If the cages are close to each other, all sots of diseases AND parasites can be transmitted.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Putting her in another room is not an option with the living situation I currently have. I have already read information about putting them in separate rooms. I am pretty positive that she is not sick because her previous owner did not see any symptoms. The best I can do is put her at the opposite end of the room.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.