Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Long hair piggies?

Are long hair pigs more prone to skin allergies/problems? I try to keep his hair trimmed up and brushed out but my piggy spunky has been having really bad itchy skin and lots of shedding. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago and treated him for mites but it hasn't fixed anything.

Thanks
    Thanks
    509 Rec'd/430 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

Re: Long hair piggies?

In my experience no long haired pigs are not more prone to skin problems (except for urine scald if they are not maintained correctly but your case is certainly not urine scald). How was he treated for mites (topically, orally, etc.), what product was used to treat, and was treatment ever repeated? Does he have dandruff? Has any of the hair he has lost had a small plug of dried skin connected to it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    In my experience no long haired pigs are not more prone to skin problems (except for urine scald if they are not maintained correctly but your case is certainly not urine scald). How was he treated for mites (topically, orally, etc.), what product was used to treat, and was treatment ever repeated? Does he have dandruff?
    His skin is flaky but he doesn't have the mite dust he's had the previous times he had mites. Not the same symptoms but the vet wanted to try treating him for that first. I don't remember the exact name. I can look, but he had 3 treatments and I kept his cage very clean in the process. It's a small dose of a medication they use to treat cats and dogs for fleas I think. I just wonder if it's allergies because he's so itchy and he sneezes a lot.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I believe they gave him revolution

Thanks
    Thanks
    509 Rec'd/430 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)

That treatment is certainly sufficient to treat for mites so we can rule them out. The next most likely issue, which would explain his flakey skin, is a fungal infection http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html As the issue is not localised to one area I would recommend treating with an anti-fungal shampoo rather then a cream, the types of shampoo you can use are listed on the guinea lynx page I linked to.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    That treatment is certainly sufficient to treat for mites so we can rule them out. The next most likely issue, which would explain his flakey skin, is a fungal infection http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html As the issue is not localised to one area I would recommend treating with an anti-fungal shampoo rather then a cream, the types of shampoo you can use are listed on the guinea lynx page I linked to.
    Thanks!

User Tag List