Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Best Place to Buy Hay in Bulk

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
So I live in south Georgia and the only places to get hay is in Walmart (Kaytee...just yuck) and Petsmart which has Oxbow but only in small bags. The prices are a bit much when I have to buy 3 bags of 15oz of timothy hay and orchard grass. Is their anywhere online that I can buy a good quality hay in bulk without braking my wallet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cheapest place to buy hay is from a local farmer, but you're not in a great area of the country to be able to do that.

You want a long strand grass hay (timothy, meadow, orchard, blue, brome). Timothy, which most people with GPs use, is a cold-weather crop, so it doesn't grow in the south.

You might be able to find timothy hay that has been trucked in from somewhere if you look at a local feed store. If there's one that's close to horse farms, they're likely to have a good grass hay.

The cost in the middle between local farmer and local pet store is to order online. KMS Hayloft, Sweet Meadow Farms, Small Pet Select, and American Pet Diner all have good hay that you can buy in 40-50 pound bags. Oxbow will also ship a 40 or 50 pound box (can't remember which) to a local pet store for you to pick up. Which one is the cheapest will depend on how close you are to their shipping site and whether or not you've got a coupon for a discount.

You can check with their websites and see exactly how much shipping will cost you, and how much their hay is going for. The only way to compare is to figure out the cost per pound, including the shipping, and compare those costs. The bigger the order, the more money you'll save.

Even though online shipping is much more than local costs, it's still WAY cheaper than buying by the small bag in a local store.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
The cheapest place to buy hay is from a local farmer, but you're not in a great area of the country to be able to do that.

You want a long strand grass hay (timothy, meadow, orchard, blue, brome). Timothy, which most people with GPs use, is a cold-weather crop, so it doesn't grow in the south.

You might be able to find timothy hay that has been trucked in from somewhere if you look at a local feed store. If there's one that's close to horse farms, they're likely to have a good grass hay.

The cost in the middle between local farmer and local pet store is to order online. KMS Hayloft, Sweet Meadow Farms, Small Pet Select, and American Pet Diner all have good hay that you can buy in 40-50 pound bags. Oxbow will also ship a 40 or 50 pound box (can't remember which) to a local pet store for you to pick up. Which one is the cheapest will depend on how close you are to their shipping site and whether or not you've got a coupon for a discount.

You can check with their websites and see exactly how much shipping will cost you, and how much their hay is going for. The only way to compare is to figure out the cost per pound, including the shipping, and compare those costs. The bigger the order, the more money you'll save.

Even though online shipping is much more than local costs, it's still WAY cheaper than buying by the small bag in a local store.
Ill look into them thanks. I just found out our Tractor supply has Bales of timothy but are they ok to use for guinea pigs?
Its called Standlee Timothy Grass its for horses?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take a look at it. My Tractor Supply carries it as well, but it's pretty brown, dry hay. I went out there two or three times after they'd had new deliveries, but I never found any that I thought my pigs would eat.

You might see if they'd give you a handful off a bale and let you take it home to see if your pigs would eat it.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Take a look at it. My Tractor Supply carries it as well, but it's pretty brown, dry hay. I went out there two or three times after they'd had new deliveries, but I never found any that I thought my pigs would eat.

You might see if they'd give you a handful off a bale and let you take it home to see if your pigs would eat it.
I'll call them tomorrow and I'm gonna ask my vet if he know where I can get some sweet meadows hay delivered (like a pet store).

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You could look into ordering 50 pound boxes of hay (Timothy or Orchard Grass) from Dr. Foster and Smith. They go on sale from time to time and I'm pretty sure that shipping is very reasonable.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
You could look into ordering 50 pound boxes of hay (Timothy or Orchard Grass) from Dr. Foster and Smith. They go on sale from time to time and I'm pretty sure that shipping is very reasonable.
Thanks I look into it!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Small pet select shipping is free if you get their 60lb box. The hay from tractor supply is iffy, out of 4 bales only one I used until it was gone. For me the last time I configured hay by the pound, shipping included, SPS was like $1.33 for 2nd cut Timothy and KMS was $ 1.48 for 3rd cut Timothy. Mine love the 3rd cut Timothy from KMS.

melgo66

Cavy Slave
I get my timothy hay from Small Pet Select too: They do delivery and have very fair prices in my mind. Also, there is a nice selection of different cuts depending on what your guys like: https://store.smallpetselect.com/all-hay-c2.aspx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.