Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Midwest Cage

niklovesrats

Cavy Slave
Hi just ordered this Midwest cage to bring my pigs indoors, going to sell the hutch outdoors and home them inside but im confused about what goes into it..... so in the outdoor hutch I use wood shavings but the Midwest indoor cage, ive not seen any pictures where they use wood shavings, they all seem to have fleece blankets which seem much better but can someone give me guidance, im a new pig owner! Thank you!

niklovesrats

Cavy Slave
That's great thank you! So..... could I just buy childrens fleece blankets and use them????

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Yes you could use wood shaving but the canvas is a pain to clean so I recommend using fleece

KitKat1

Cavy Slave
I like fleece but IMO using woodshavings is easier because you don't have to wash the fleece. That's just my opinion though :)

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
If you use shavings, I recommend covering the bottom of the cage with a piece of coroplast and then putting the shavings on top of that. The coroplast is much easier to keep clean.

niklovesrats

Cavy Slave
I didn't say anything about "throwing" fleece in the cage.... the question was is the fleece that childrens blankets are made from suitable? This is completely new to me as my piggies currently live in an outdoor hutch with wood shavings

Soecara

Cavy Slave
In my experience, in the fleece blankets for children the fibres are often too tightly weaved to allow the fluids to pass through at an adequate rate, even after being correctly prepared to allow them to wick (note I have found a handful that are not like this, but most were like this). I have however found polyester blankets with adequately loosely weaved fibres in supermarkets as "throw" blankets or either beds or lounge chairs (note always check the tags to make sure the blankets are 100% polyester, you also don't want anything with a plush texture).

Last edited:

niklovesrats

Cavy Slave
Thank you that's useful, as im in the UK im not sure we have the same access to buying fleece loose or on the metre that other places have! I will look for fleece throws that are 100% polyester and either polar or the anti pil

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
If you are closeby an Ikea, the polarvide and krakris throws work well. (I prefer the polarvide, they are a bit thicker than krakris)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All fabric stores carry fleece. Surely you have those in the UK.

niklovesrats

Cavy Slave
I dont know of any fabric stores close to me but its fine as I am near an IKEA and I have some stores that sell housewares with fleece blankets, thanks all

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You can use any type of bedding in a Midwest cage. It just makes for a cleaner cage and easier to care for if you have something down under the bedding. Like newspaper, since then you can roll it up with the bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.