Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables What veg/leaf is this?

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
This bag of sprouts was brought home and I am wondering what kind of veg it is and if it is safe for my guinea pig. uploadfromtaptalk1441937430917.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441937477862.jpg

RestlessDreamer

Cavy Slave
Looks like sunflower sprouts. My mom used to get them from a local farmer's market, and the family guinea pigs loved them. Still, I would want to be absolutely sure before giving them to you piggies.

Where did they come from?

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
Looks like sunflower sprouts. My mom used to get them from a local farmer's market, and the family guinea pigs loved them. Still, I would want to be absolutely sure before giving them to you piggies.

Where did they come from?
They could be! I'll search up pictures of different sprouts to compare! They come from a grocery store near by, but I've never really seen these around before.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
Yes they look exactly alike! Piggie isn't really fond of them but I heard they are high in protein! Makes for a great treat ^^

pinky

Cavy Slave
Why not go back to the store and ask them? The should know if they sell them. I wouldn't randomly feed something that I don't recognize because it could have a high calcium, oxalic acid, etc. content. Once you find you, I'd google it to see what the nutritional value is.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
Why not go back to the store and ask them? The should know if they sell them. I wouldn't randomly feed something that I don't recognize because it could have a high calcium, oxalic acid, etc. content. Once you find you, I'd google it to see what the nutritional value is.
They are indeed sunflower seed sprouts! it is advised to not feed seeds or nuts to pigs so many suggest to sprout them at home as they gain additional nutritional value as leafy sprouts. Miffy was wheeking for more after I gave her a big hand full. It's a nutritional treat for humans as well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.