Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Chat: Some annoying things about being Australian

CubexJ

Cavy Slave
As a Canadian, we get stereotyped a lot, EH? I find Australians to be stereotyped quite a bit also, the one I hear the most is "are they insane? they live in a country that has a million ways to die!" or " they must hate living in the middle of a vast plain of nothing"

And as for the slang, I think its really cute, I use barbie, and rellies. I found this is a quite heated subject: since were both from a former Brittish colony, we to say prawns also. Its not just you.

As for " the land down under " I find that no one really actually uses that term, the only time a hear it is when some ones making a joke, or something.

I say unbrace your culture! people are calling you strong, robust, and interesting, and who doesn't want to be called that? at least you aren't being called " a rip off or the U.S." or living in igloos, and riding your pet polar bear to work. Poutine, EH? and having maple syrup on every thing. ( okay, maybe we do, but, its so good!)

Oh, and I've never been to Australia, but I REALLY want to go!

to all Australians: I'm jealous, and you guys are awesome.
Oh. You have made my day!:) I for one certainly don't mind being called strong, robust, or interesting! I love Australia, it's vast plains of nothing and all! I hope some day you can come here, and I certainly wouldn't turn down a trip to Canada. Don't be jealous, every country, island or continent has it's awesomeness, although I agree we are awesome! :p hehe, I am joking! And about the million ways to die bit, that just makes life more interesting! The one thing I don't like about Australia all that much, is the flies! If you do visit, BRING FLY SPRAY! Anyhow, thanks for your comment, like I said it made my day.
(BTW my sister is about to post another comment, we love this forum (my sister is SonicexA))

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
As a Canadian, we get stereotyped a lot, EH? I find Australians to be stereotyped quite a bit also, the one I hear the most is "are they insane? they live in a country that has a million ways to die!" or " they must hate living in the middle of a vast plain of nothing"

And as for the slang, I think its really cute, I use barbie, and rellies. I found this is a quite heated subject: since were both from a former Brittish colony, we to say prawns also. Its not just you.

As for " the land down under " I find that no one really actually uses that term, the only time a hear it is when some ones making a joke, or something.

I say unbrace your culture! people are calling you strong, robust, and interesting, and who doesn't want to be called that? at least you aren't being called " a rip off or the U.S." or living in igloos, and riding your pet polar bear to work. Poutine, EH? and having maple syrup on every thing. ( okay, maybe we do, but, its so good!)

Oh, and I've never been to Australia, but I REALLY want to go!

to all Australians: I'm jealous, and you guys are awesome.

Hey, thanks! I am most familiar with the "middle of nowhere" one myself. It's true Australia is a vast country, (but looking at a world map here it seems to me Canada is way bigger) and we do have a lot of farmers that own insane amounts of land and insane amounts of livestock, but we're a young country - we only became "Australia" in 1901! And we do have cities - most famous would maybe be Sydney (and the Sydney Opera House), even though our capital is Canberra.
I myself haven't heard any Canadian stereotypes except the occasional one about your accent but only on American TV shows. (speaking of (Canadian) TV shows, have you watched Corner Gas? We loved it! My father watches it over and over. We think it's really clever! We had to buy the DVDs though. I don't know why it wasn't aired in Australia - maybe they thought it had too many Canadian jokes? (btw I'm not asking you just 'cause you're Canadian and so is the show. I heard it was a huge hit in Canada is all)
As my sister (CubexJ) said, I wouldn't pass up a chance to go to Canada either! I mean, travelling to a country like Italy is alright, but I would rather go somewhere where the people know English!
About the maple syrup on everything stereotype, I realise it's just a stereotype, but I'm like you - maple syrup is the best! It's a shame it's so expensive in Australia.

Now If you've managed to understand all I've just said, gold star! I tried to fit too much into this one post.

"to all Australians: I'm jealous, and you guys are awesome."
Hey, well thanks, but don't be jealous - every country has it's good and bad points (that's just how the world was made), be proud to be in your own!

CubexJ

Cavy Slave

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Fair dinkum!

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
I'm English living in Australia (spouse is an Aussie) and I get the 'whinging pom' and other silly stuff said to me so trust me, many Aussies give as good as they get. Sometimes I do find these national stereotyping comments a bit offensive but honestly, I think all nations have these stereotypes and most people regardless of nationality are a bit prone to making dumb comments. Most people make dumb comments full stop!

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
Hey, thanks! I am most familiar with the "middle of nowhere" one myself. It's true Australia is a vast country, (but looking at a world map here it seems to me Canada is way bigger) and we do have a lot of farmers that own insane amounts of land and insane amounts of livestock, but we're a young country - we only became "Australia" in 1901! And we do have cities - most famous would maybe be Sydney (and the Sydney Opera House), even though our capital is Canberra.
I myself haven't heard any Canadian stereotypes except the occasional one about your accent but only on American TV shows. (speaking of (Canadian) TV shows, have you watched Corner Gas? We loved it! My father watches it over and over. We think it's really clever! We had to buy the DVDs though. I don't know why it wasn't aired in Australia - maybe they thought it had too many Canadian jokes? (btw I'm not asking you just 'cause you're Canadian and so is the show. I heard it was a huge hit in Canada is all)
As my sister (CubexJ) said, I wouldn't pass up a chance to go to Canada either! I mean, travelling to a country like Italy is alright, but I would rather go somewhere where the people know English!
About the maple syrup on everything stereotype, I realise it's just a stereotype, but I'm like you - maple syrup is the best! It's a shame it's so expensive in Australia.

Now If you've managed to understand all I've just said, gold star! I tried to fit too much into this one post.

"to all Australians: I'm jealous, and you guys are awesome."
Hey, well thanks, but don't be jealous - every country has it's good and bad points (that's just how the world was made), be proud to be in your own!

Hi. Don't get me wrong I love Canada, even when it's -40 degrees outside. I have not heard of corner gas. It might be because I don't own a television. But that's besides the point. And you should defently come to Canada! Lots of cool stuff to do in each Provence..... Well maybe not Manitoba, where it's basically all fields. But if you enjoy wheat, corn, and barley. Then go for it! And have a wonderful day.

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
Oh. You have made my day!:) I for one certainly don't mind being called strong, robust, or interesting! I love Australia, it's vast plains of nothing and all! I hope some day you can come here, and I certainly wouldn't turn down a trip to Canada. Don't be jealous, every country, island or continent has it's awesomeness, although I agree we are awesome! :p hehe, I am joking! And about the million ways to die bit, that just makes life more interesting! The one thing I don't like about Australia all that much, is the flies! If you do visit, BRING FLY SPRAY! Anyhow, thanks for your comment, like I said it made my day.
(BTW my sister is about to post another comment, we love this forum (my sister is SonicexA))

Hi. I know right? You guys are so awesome. I will someday come to Australia, and I'll defiantly bring fly spray. Your welcome, and you are most welcome to come to Canada. We are quite awesome.:D Jk. Have a awesome day.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
(not Australian)

I understand exactly what you are saying, Canada gets stereotyped a lot too. "oh your canadian eh?" ive heared it everywhere from the USA to Dominican republic and puerto rico, ive learnt to brush it off.
except the canadian stereotypes are kinda true. we do say sorry A LOT (someone else bumps into you.. for some reason you say sorry) (we do say eh alot we just dont hear it... my daughters never been to canada and i catch her saying it a lot) mind u i guess having the stereotype of being generally nice people isnt too big of a issue but it does get really annoying when you are watching tv lol
gotta learn to embrace it i guess

Fay

Cavy Slave
The Australians have it pretty good as far as stereotyping go really. I mean Americans put up with the whole Fat, religious zealots, uneducated. The Dutch, where I come from it's always the wooden clogs, prostitution, and weed. The French are labeled as snooty and aloof. The British have the bad teeth and whole royal posh ridiculing thing going. You don't even want to know how bad the Welsh have it... It involves sheep. I think the Australians have it pretty good honestly :D

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I went traveling to Europe alone last year and met a group of girls from Australia (I'm from the US). They said the thing that makes Americans sound the most "stupid" is some of our accents. They said we sometimes tend to sound like uneducated cowboys lol
In general, most Europeans were very friendly with the Australians and not as friendly to me when they heard my accent. I just looked at it as an opportunity to prove them wrong and didn't let it bug me. But yeah, there was definitely a stereotype barrier I had to break down before people would take me seriously.

One of the things I remember most about the Aussies I met is that they were so proud of their country. They wanted to tell me all about it and would point out all of the actors and actresses that were from Australia. I hope to travel to Australia someday!
I just try to forget stereotypes. There's stereotypes against me as an American, a woman, a young adult... they'll always be there. I just try to not think about it so much.

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
@ kelsie sorry, no, I don't watch much TV other than the stuff we have on DVDs. That way no ads.

I just read this whole page again and it made me smile. You guys are all really nice! And I have a theory about why there are many bad stereotypes about Americans. One: America is a rich country. Point for being jealous.
Two: I hope I 'no offend' when i say this but it seems that Americans love their country... I mean, a lot. All the talk about patriotism can get a little cheesy especially when you're not American.
Three: Because so many TV shows and such are American means that many people know about the other two points, so more people = more stereotypes.
Four: My guinea pig just peed on me while I was typing this so I'm putting her back in her cage. (that has nothing to with my points, i know)

@ Bamysmum To be honest I believe it is mostly Americans that start stereotypes about Britain (especially England), because of how the English treated them earlier on in history. Maybe you do get some bad talk from Australians but personally England is one of my favourite countries. It has produced some of my favourite shows such as Top Gear (shame about Clarkson getting fired but he deserved it), Doctor Who, and the Narnia films (actually I don't know if they're English they just have English actors), off the top of my head.

Again, I hope i didn't offend anyone. That was not my intention at all.

PS: Kim said to say it wasn't her fault for peeing on me, I had had her out for half an hour already. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.