Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I may be taking on a hamster

miniver

Cavy Slave
I may be getting a Syrian hamster from a co-worker who needs to rehome her. I have two guinea pigs already. I had hamsters as a kid but I know I need to get up to speed on their care. My big problem is traveling. My piggies are fine in the car for the three hour drive to visit family but now I will be adding a hamster to that mix. It's not just the drive that worries me but the set up when I get to my destination. I'd prefer to take them all with me rather than leaving them with a friend or a pet sitter. On the plus side, the hamster is a year and half old, so I may not need to do this for long. (that sounds horrible, I know)

Any tips on traveling with multiple rodents in a car?

Thanks.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
3 hours is a long time for hamsters. I suggest a secure bin cage for the trip with lots of bedding and food. Include veggie hydration especially cucumber but if she isn't used to it be carful about how much. You will need to stop five or six times to offer her water from a bottle because as you probably know from guinea pigs they drip to much in a car to be left in the cage. I suggest either cutting a big hole in the top of the Lid and attaching STRONG mesh over the top of it will be her permanent cage or drilling a tone of holes in it if it's less permanent. If you put a blanket over the top and leave a corner uncovered for ventilation she will feel more comfortable in the dark and it will muffle sounds.

Just like guinea pigs the bigger the cage the better so maby if you can you might want to keep one there for her depending on how long you are staying. My favorite cage is the ikea detolf (you can google ikea detolf hamster cages to see it) I've done the math and it is the most space for your money. It's around $60. An alternative would be the bin cage rout which is also fine as long as you get a big enough bin. (I also suggest googling and you-tubing this) and you can expand as you get the resources.

Lmk if those don't work for you and I can help brainstorm some more. I've had three hamsters and made so many different cages out of things like book shelves and storage bins

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.