Thread: Green beans are evil, take them away!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Green beans are evil, take them away!!!

I tried to give my two girls green beans last night. I ate a few myself before I put them in dish with the rest of their veggies for dinner. Yummy, fresh, wonderful.

They took one sniff and ran into their bedroom. I didn't think there was anything that could put them off their dinner. They wouldn't come out until I removed them. I tried to put them in the cage after their breakfast this morning and they had the same reaciton. They moved as far away from them as they could get. I removed them after about 15 minutes but they were still staring daggers at me when I left for work. I said "I'm sorry I tried to kill you with the diced green tube-thing of evil!"

Silly piggies.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Re: Green beans are evil, take them away!!!

They are so funny! What a cute story! My boy Pickle did the same thing when he got a new food dish. It didn't bother my other one, Bird, at all so I had to switch them, but Pickle would not go near it and hid in the corner! They are strange little critters for sure!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

Green beans have gotten mixed reactions from my pigs over the years. Nothing as extreme as yours, but one of my old pigs refused to acknowledge they were food. She sniffed one and walked away.

Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/54 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Honestly, I am continually amazed by the stories of pigs who are picky eaters. My 2 pigs, and they are the only 2 I've ever had, will eat anything. They are so voracious that I honestly can't tell what they PREFER because they seem to love everything I offer! They go nuts for pellets too (Oxbow, old style KMS and new style KMS). The only thing they will not eat is brown hay, which they are happy to pull out, spread around, and pee all over to express their discontent with the quality.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

The only thing my current boys have completely turned their noses up at was zucchini. They were super excited when I cut it up and gave it to them because they thought it was cucumber, but as soon as they grabbed the pieces, they dropped them and refused to pick them up. There are some veggies that they will only eat so much of before getting sick of them, like peppers.

Thanks
    Thanks
    710 Rec'd/611 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Zucchini is also a no-no at my house. My pigs just refuse to have anything to do with it. The first time I put some in for two of my pigs they chewed it up into very small pieces and left them all over the cage. I guess that was their statement about zucchini.
    I've tried big chunks and very very tiny eraser size pieces and not one of my pigs will touch it. As far as green beans, only two of my six pigs will eat them. The others just leave them untouched in their dishes.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

This is the same for my guinea pigs! I put the green beans in their bowl and they threw them out of their bowl and ate the lettuce and other goodies in the bottom. Spoiled piggies.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poop_patrol View Post
    The only thing they will not eat is brown hay, which they are happy to pull out, spread around, and pee all over to express their discontent with the quality.
    Hahaha! My boys are starting to do that with the Oxbow Timothy Hay. The first bag, they ate every last bit. The second bag, they ate about 75 per cent. We're on bag three and they've pulled about 50 per cent out to pee on. Grrr. I don't know if it's inconsistent quality in the hay or they're getting more picky.

Oh, and they both hate green beans and zucchini.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Oh my girls love green beans. Lol
    the go mad wheeking for them. Actually the dog loves them too but I think that's cause he sees the girls getting hand fed them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Green beans, snap peas and snow peas are a nightly treat in my house. Doodle the baby wouldn't eat them but finally started eating them because the adults do.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

One word of caution about the green beans. You want the young beans, when the beans haven't filled out yet. The bigger beans have lots of calcium in them.

User Tag List