Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Stone stuck in urethra. Piggy in hospital. Need some information

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I'm so stressed right now and know this is the place to get all of the information I need to make a decision.

My girl Tinkerbell (1 year and a half) was taken to the emergency hospital on Saturday night. She has a bladder stone at the base of her urethra and was unable to urinate.
They have been expressing her bladder and she has been able to pee a little on her own as well. She is on antibiotics, pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds.

I don't have much information on what they are doing besides waiting for it to pass. When I asked the doctor how long does that usually take I received the response of "she's not a car. It's not that easy". I understand that, however, doe this typically take 2 days, 10, 30?

I hate to worry about finances but I have to. If I need to leave her there for an extended period of time I do not think I can afford that. It has cost over $300 for the 2 days she has been there.

I do the best possible for our girls and I am so heartbroken that this has happened. We watch their calcium intake closely. They are on KMS pellets, 3rd cutting timothy hay, filtered water, green leaf lettuce, peppers (mostly green) and 2 baby carrots each daily.

It breaks my heart to think that I may have to put her down because this stone is not passing. If anyone has any input on how long it has taken their piggies to pass a stone please let me know. I am talking to the vet this morning. Also, what kinds of questions should I be asking? I'm sure she is a great doctor but she is not offering me that much information besides its a "day to day" thing.

Thanks!

Jen

GinnyandRoxy13

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry I can't answer any of these questions. Just wanted you to know I'm praying for you and Tinkerbell, hope everything goes okay <3

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thank you GinnyandRoxy13.

I just spoke to receptionist (doctor is asleep after many surgeries during the night). Tink is now urinating on her own and eating and drinking. Stone is still there. Not sure what the heck to do. Doctor will call later.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is this an exotic vet? Because most of them can manipulate a stone out of a sow's urethra, and don't have to wait for it to pass. The urethra in a sow is short and pretty stretchy, and they can often manipulate it to the outside if it's in the urethra. That's not the case with males, because the urethra is longer and not as stretchy.

There's no way to know how long it will take. But there's no reason that the vet can't teach you to give sub-q injections and you take her home and treat her. The extra fluid from the sub-q will help force the stone and any sludge that's in the bladder out.

Why is she on antibiotics? If she doesn't have an active infection, that may do nothing more than upset her digestive tract.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the response bpatters. It's an emergency vet that sees guinea pigs. Probably not exotic. I have a call into my regular (exotic) vet. Waiting to hear if they received records that were faxed over. May transfer her to them today. I was wondering why it couldn't be "removed" as it is so close to the exit.

I believe she had vey cloudy urine and it was bloody when they extracted it, therefore the antibiotics.

So, if she is urinating on her own is there a chance that she can become blocked again if I take her home? Would the extra fluids help force the stone out? I was a vert tech for many years and have given sub-q fluids to dogs and cats. If it's the same I'm sure I could do it for her.

Thanks again for your response. I feel so helpless and waiting to talk to the Vet is killing me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very cloudy is normal. Bloody does not mean infection. If there's no odor to the urine, there's likely no infection.

Yes, she can become blocked again, but it's not likely. Once a stone is in the urethra, it usually stays there or comes out, and doesn't go back into the bladder.

The whole idea behind the extra fluids is to try to flush the stone out. They won't likely force it, but the more she pees, the more likely the stone is to move down the urethra.

Definitely transfer her to your exotic vet. If she were mine, I'd go get her now. ER vets are pretty useless when it comes to guinea pigs.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
I spoke with my exotic vet and am told that the ER vet knows her stuff. I spoke with the ER vet and she has no answers. She says we are in a "stuck position" of waiting right now. she cannot even guarantee that it will pass as she hasn't seen a stone in this location before. I asked about the fluids and she said that sub-Q is painful and it may cause her bladder to burst if she cannot urinate on er own again. She is still having to express it every now and then. She does not recommend me taking her home.

I am a mess. My question now is how long do I put Tink through this? Without even knowing if it CAN be passed. She is not eating well so I know she doesn't feel good and I hate to think of her in a cage all alone. I'm have no information as apparently there are no answers for this predicament. Surgery is also not an option. :(

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thanks spy9doc. I'm happy to hear that your piggy pulled through :) The vet doesn't feel I would be able to express her bladder as she apparently isn't allowing them to do it easily. I think I am going to pick her up tomorrow and take her to my regular vet and go from there. I'm afraid if I get her home then she is going to block again so my only option may be to put her down at this time. I'll see how it goes when she comes home tomorrow and see what the regular vet says. This is tearing me apart. I just wish I had more information to make a decision. I just feel awful putting her through all of this if they can't even be sure the stone can be passed. I'm hoping and praying that she passes it tonight and I won't have to make that decision. Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Great news! She passed the stone yesterday! She is home with us and doing well. I took her to our regular vet. They did another x-ray and may see something else. Possible "sludge". I do see sediment on the fleece. I'm not sure what else to do as she is on low calcium diet already. Waiting to hear back from our Vet with some other options. Don't want this to happen again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good news!

Just be aware that you may not be able to prevent other stones. There's a big genetic component to them, as well as other unknown factors. My Flourish got her first stones in spite of eating KMS pellets and a low-calcium diet all her life, and got her second one in spite of eating no pellets at all.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Not something I want to hear. The past three days have been so stressful I just have to stop worrying and deal with it if it happens. The sediment concerns me though, although I have seen it in the past. Can they have sediment without forming stones? Can they have cranberries and would that help? My girls are on KMS now. Do you suggest no pellets at all?
Thanks bpattters for your expertise :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cranberries won't help. They don't help prevent stones in humans, just maybe infections. But human urine is acidic, and herbivore urine is basic, so almost nothing acts the same between the two species.

Yes, they can have sediment without forming stones. Drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of exercise seem to be the two things that help the most.

I'm not suggesting anything about pellets. Just pointing out that they can get them on KMS pellets and also on no pellets. It seems to mainly depend on the pig.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Oh MamaP, I'm so happy Tink passed that stone!!!! I only just read this whole thread. I hope and pray that everything works out and she is just fine from here on in. Please let us know how she's doing (and you too, of course!!!)!!!

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thanks koala missy! I've been watching her like a hawk, lol I just had them out for floor time for the second time today. Trying to keep her moving to keep the urine coming. I will be getting Pedialyte later today. Her urine is bloody and it has an odor. When she urinates she makes a different sound. I'm assuming she is hurting some. She is still on metacam for the pain. I'm assuming that is from all of the poking and prodding they did they past few days. She is on an antibiotic. She has been wanting to eat cardboard more. Not sure if that is like a dog eating grass when their tummies are upset (??) Hoping this all passes and I can relax and leave her alone. She's probably tired of seeing me :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Chewing cardboard is often a sign of pain. How much metacam is she on? How often? What is the strength of the solution?

MamaP

Cavy Slave
:( She only had one more dose. Just gave it to her at 2:00. It was .16 CC of Metacam 1.5mg/cc. Once every 24 hours. I am going to call for more. Should the dose be increased?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What I'd do is split the dose to a little more than half, say .9 cc, and give it to her twice a day. They just can't quite make it through 24 hours without breakthrough pain.

I don't know why vets persist in believinf the drug manufacturer that metacam is good for 24 hours. It's just not.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I will try that.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
We split doses for Colonel as well and it was much better. We also increased the amount post surgery for a few days, so if split dosing doesn't cut it, I know there is room to increase the dose too.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Has anyone given SubQ fluids to their pig? Tink is not drinking enough and her urine is very concentrated. We have been giving her water/pedialyte daily but it isn't enough as she does not take it well. I have an appointment to learn how to give her fluids tomorrow. I have done this is the past with cats and dogs but I am feeling her skin for a place to insert the needle/fluids and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room under there. She even squeals when I touch her trying to find a good spot. I'm worried she isn't going to tolerate it well and we will be back to square one. Any calming words and good thoughts for a stressed out pig mama? :) I just wish she would drink.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.