Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Re: Stone stuck in urethra. Piggy in hospital. Need some information

Has anyone given SubQ fluids to their pig? Tink is not drinking enough and her urine is very concentrated. We have been giving her water/pedialyte daily but it isn't enough as she does not take it well. I have an appointment to learn how to give her fluids tomorrow. I have done this is the past with cats and dogs but I am feeling her skin for a place to insert the needle/fluids and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room under there. She even squeals when I touch her trying to find a good spot. I'm worried she isn't going to tolerate it well and we will be back to square one. Any calming words and good thoughts for a stressed out pig mama? :) I just wish she would drink.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

I've done it several times. There's plenty of room to do it. You pinch the skin above their shoulder blades and insert the needle in the "tent" formed by the skin. They should show you how to do it.

Have you tried unflavored Pedialyte with her? Most pigs love it, and will happily take it from a syringe.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Thanks @bpatters!
    Makes me feel better. Yes, I have tried unflavored Pedialyte. I'm lucky I can get 3 ml into her a day. She won't swallow and it drips out. I don't want her to aspirate so I think SQ fluids are the best thing to do. There are two water bottles in the cage and I am wetting the pellets into mush (which they love!) but it's still not enough.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaP View Post
    I just wish she would drink.
    Don't wish.......take action. @bpatters has given you precisely the same advice that I would offer. Be sure to have someone to hold Tink while you do a sub-q injection. I do most things alone, but that is one procedure I would definitely want a holder.

You absolutely MUST hydrate her with copious amounts of liquids whether she wants them or not. When we were trying to help Maya flush the sludge out of her bladder, she would willingly drink 4-5 6cc syringes of pedialyte at one sitting. As an FYI, my kids don't like flavored pedialyte.

You will be given Ringers Solution which is pH balanced with electrolytes to inject. Pedialyte given orally provides much of the same benefits.

It's o.k. if it drips out her mouth. The important thing is that some is getting into her. Go slowly enough that you can see her swallow and don't worry so much about her aspirating it. Also look at your technique. If you are putting the syringe head-on into her mouth, you may be stimulating the gag reflex. Insert it at a slight angle so that it hits her back teeth and don't hold her head up in an unnaturally elevated position.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I have an appointment in the morning so she will be fully hydrated come tomorrow and each day following. I am sure she is not gagging. Just not wanting to swallow it. I will give her more tonight. Just hoping she tolerates the fluids well since it would make me feel better to know that I am actually getting the fluids into her.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,592 Rec'd/1,307 Posts
    Mentioned
    605 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1172 Post(s)

You're obviously doing the best you can. Hang in there! You too, Tink.

7. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

When I had to give food and fluids to my pigs, I put it to the side of the mouth and all the way back until the were chewing on the syringe.

9. "Thank you, lunarminx, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Well I successfully gave her fluids at the Vet. The true test will be tomorrow when I have to do it on my own, haha! I also found a way that she is accepting water from the syringe. I am putting slices of cucumber in the water to flavor it. I am taking very small pieces of the cucumber and giving it to her. In between pieces she is accepting the water from the syringe. Yay! Hopefully I can get enough into her that way throughout the day and I won't have to give fluids too long. The Vet Tech said it wasn't "ideal" to continue giving them to her daily but if she's not drinking and I can't get the full amount of fluids into her via syringe I'm not sure what else to do. Thanks everyone for all of your knowledge! It's helped a great deal. We're not out of the woods yet but I feel better.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

I had a boar that had stones twice, once they were surgically removed. I switched him to no pellets/small amounts of KMS pellets and one Oxbow urinary health tab per day. I removed spinach, kale, romaine, parsley from his diet and he has not had another stone in two years. Although it could be recurring you can take steps to hopefully help prevent them. Syringing water until she drinks enough on her own is good too. You are doing a great job, hopefully you have good luck from here on out!

User Tag List