Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Caring for a baby guine pig

GinnyandRoxy13

Cavy Slave
Hello! Right now, I have 2 female guinea pigs that are both around two years old. I am interested in adding a third piggy to the herd. I would like it to be a baby, because I don't want to have to deal with any dominence drama. However, that brings up a problem. I know that young guinea pigs require extra calcium that is included in young guinea pig food, and also in alfalfa hay. I also know that young guinea pigs require unlimited amounts of pellets throyghout the day, right? If all this is true, how am I going to keep my current adult piggies from eating the young piggies food? Is alfalfa hay bad for adult piggies, if they were to eat it? Is there any other way I could give the young piggy the right amount of nutrients?

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
well usually after adopting a new guinea pig you don't immediately place it in the cage, because even with a baby that will cause an issue. You have to go through all the steps you would with a normal guinea pig (neutral area, cages side by side, etc) so when the baby is separated from the adults, you can feed her what she should have. Adult guinea pigs shouldn't have alfalfa hay instead of timothy hay.

GinnyandRoxy13

Cavy Slave
I am prepared to go through the same steps as I did with an adult piggy, but I don't want to quarantine it for six months, which is how long they need special food.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would house the baby with the adults and keep all feed in the cage as it needs to be for the adults (1/8 cup pellets per pig, unlimited timothy hay etc.). You don't want the adults eating alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets as the high calcium raising the risk of them forming stones is not worth it.

To get the baby the extra calcium it needs, instead of giving alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets, just take it out once a day and feed it a high calcium vegetable like a few sprigs of parsley. Ideally feeding the parsley would be accompanied by some lap time so that you are not only getting the baby the nutrients it needs but you are also helping it build its trust for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.