Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Malocclusion - treat?

IslandGirl

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=24757]Soecara[/MENTION] - I'll look in to it.

IslandGirl

Cavy Slave
Mimi is not eating well at all - she seems less able to chew than even before the surgery. She mouths a piece of grass and obviously wants to eat it but can't. I'm giving her critical care. Anyone with experience - how long can I expect this to continue before she starts eating?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It will help if you cut things in matchstick sized pieces and stuff them in her mouth back toward her molars. If they trimmed her front teeth, they may have gotten them too short and she's unable to pick things up. If that's the case, it should resolve itself pretty quickly, as guinea pig teeth grow very rapidly.

Did they give you any pain medication? If not, see if you can get hold of some. Guinea pig mouths are really small, and it's very hard to plane the back teeth without nicking the gums at least once or twice. That makes it hurt to chew, so the pig isn't willing to eat. A couple of days of something like metacam can ease over the rough spots and get them eating again.

IslandGirl

Cavy Slave
Yes she's on pain meds. Thanks for the tip about the size of pieces. Dr. Legendre seemed hopeful about her case because although her teeth were overgrown he didn't see the 'bad' complications he sometimes sees. It's just so hard to see her like this!

IslandGirl

Cavy Slave
Thought I'd post an update. After getting Mimi's teeth done for the first time on Oct 7, she lost a bit of weight immediately afterward, then appeared to be doing a bit better, but not really gaining any weight. I found the tip to cut up the hay/grass very helpful - she could eat small pieces but not nip the bigger ones. She did seem to get perkier. Then we had her teeth done a second time (Dr. Legendre said he planed the teeth down to the gum the first time but anticipated a second treatment was necessary) which we did Nov 5th. She hadn't gained any weight by that treatment and I was feeding her critical care. After the second treatment she lost more weight, at one point dipping below 600g (she was 630g when we had her teeth done the second time). I was really despairing. However, after a couple of weeks her manner was definitely far perkier and she was back to her squeaky self and seemed to have more energy, even if she wasn't gaining weight. I continued to give her critical care but she seemed to eat less 'real food' when I did so I tried not to give her too much because I wanted her eating on her own. Following Dr. Legendre's instructions we've stopped pellets (I gave her pellets still after her first tooth treatment just because I was desperate for her to eat and it seemed that was what she would eat), and only feed her hay, grass, plus give her veggies and fruit as treats. After a few weeks of her still not really gaining any weight (and despair on my part) there seemed to be a shift and she started gaining, and as of today she's 874g! I know, still small for a guinea pig, but when we adopted her a couple of years ago she was only 838g (and her previous owners didn't feed her any hay) so she's now the heaviest she's been since we've had her. She squeaks like mad and eats constantly. I've very happy and I hope it continues! Obviously we don't know the long-term prognosis, but I thought I'd post it because relative to some other stories about malocclusion she seems to be doing fairly well. FYI I bought a chin sling but I couldn't figure out how to use it properly. She's a silkie and her hair seemed to be a problem, and trimming it didn't seem to help. Next time we see Dr. Legendre I'll ask him about it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad she is doing so well. You and the doctor have done a great job with her. When do you see the doctor again?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As you've found out, it's hard to get an adult guinea pig to gain weight. They can, but it takes a long time.

I'm glad she's doing better.

And there's no better rodent dentist than Dr. Legendre, as far as I know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.