Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Adoption process in different countries?

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
I am considering a friend for Miffs, and of course adopting. Here in Canada shelters charge a 15-20 dollar rehoming fee for guinea pigs, and I was wondering if it were the same in the US or say European countries? A lot of people have made it seem like adopting is a free process or something, it certainly isn't... or is it? Would love to hear from everyone!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Our local rescue is $35 for a single, and you can only get a single if you already have a single. $70 for a pair.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Adopting is certainly not free here. The money goes to save more animals.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It depends on where you adopt from. Our county animal shelter (that houses mostly cats & dogs) adopts out guinea pigs for $7.00. Although any rescue (focusing on guinea pigs) tends to charge between $25 - $35.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I never seen or thought anyone mentioning adopting as being free. Its saving a life. Period. Adopting a cat here is $50.00, I imagine its more in other cities. Dogs are over $100. The only place it may be free is if someone drops a pet off at a store. A shelter and rescue always charge. My pigs were $20.00 at one shelter and $10.00 at another.

gimmepiggie

Cavy Slave
I never seen or thought anyone mentioning adopting as being free. Its saving a life. Period.

Dogs and cats are always in the hundreds here, and no I never said adopting was free? Why must you sound so angry? I was geniunely curious about adoption processes in different locations, and stated clearly what fees my city charged.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
I don't think any reputable adoption process is free here in Vancouver, BC. I have visited homes and people who were desperately trying to rehome their animals due to whatever situation and usually these adoptions are free as the owners are just looking for a loving family to take over and are more than grateful to meet with you and hand over the animals once they trust you. I have a lot of sympathy for these situations.

Whatever or however you adopt, please make sure to check each animal carefully so you know exactly what you are signing up for. Look carefully at the ears including behind the years to check for flaking or redness that can indicate mites or fungal infections. Ask the owner or breeder if you may (with clean hands) look at their eyes and gently open them to make sure that the whites are not red with conjunctivitis or pink eye. Lastly, always check the feet and watch carefully between the toes and fingers to see any redness, skin peeling or sores. Don't be shy to look up the ankles as well as hairy guinea pigs can hide big sores on their ankles under the hair. Observe the behaviour of the guinea pig to see if they kick back with your gentle touch as this can mean that there are sores and they are sensitive before you even see the sores. Don't distress the animal longer than a minute or so. Guinea pigs like to keep their feet on something solid so having them all four up or held up is distressful for them. When you put them back on their feet in the crux of one arm, for example, don't be afraid to part their hair and look carefully at the skin as well for any redness, flaking or any small particles or mites that could be near the roots. Just be sure to check them over.

I should also really emphasize that all guinea pig guardians should be checking their pigs over at least a minimum of once a week. Check them also if you're introducing new mates to the area when you're cleaning the enclosure after a day or so. Just be watchful of any changes. It is unfortunate sometimes that guardians don't handle their animals or check them as often as time goes by. The diligence should continue throughout the animal's life in a way that least causes any distress or discomfort. Once a week is sufficient.

Last edited:

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I'm near Chicago, for reference. We adopted our first pair from a dog rescue that had also started taking in small animals. They were $45 for the pair. We got our third one from a guinea pig rescue and he was $25. Sounds similar to what you have in Canada!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.