Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing and running nose?

dmbernard

Cavy Gazer
Hello. I recently adopted two 2-year-old boars from a shelter. One of them (Charles) started sneezing a bit a few days ago, and at first I thought nothing of it because my room tends to get very dusty and hairy (thanks to three dogs). However, I recently moved into my college dorm with the piggies and noticed today that Charles was sneezing a lot more and had a runny nose. I cleaned his nose and it didn't keep running but that got me worried. I scheduled a vet appointment for tomorrow at 4; I'm just nervous about if he'll make it till then (I may have read a few too many scary things about URIs). Other than sneezing, he seems fine - no weight loss, loss of appetite or lethargy. Also, his mucus was very clear.

Is there anything I can do to help him until his vet appointment?

(Also, I should probably note that when I transported him to my college, I used dog piddle pads which have baking soda. He's a nibbler so he probably chewed on them a bit.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just keep an eye on him and make sure he's still eating and drinking normally. That's really all you can do. But taking him to the vet is a good idea since he has those symptoms -- a URI can possibly get serious very quickly.

dmbernard

Cavy Gazer
Thanks - I'm just freaking out. I wish I could take him to the vet sooner.

dmbernard

Cavy Gazer
Just a quick update - I brought Charles to the vet and the vet does seem to think he has a respiratory infection. He's now on a dose of antibiotics.

dmbernard

Cavy Gazer
So Charles has been on antibiotics for three days now but he's still sneezing. I'm starting to get worried again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding is he on?

dmbernard

Cavy Gazer
I'm using the Carefresh paper bedding. It's not causing the other guinea pig to sneeze, though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The paper bedding shouldn't be a problem unless it's really dusty.

The fact that the other pig isn't sneezing doesn't really tell us anything. Your first pig might be allergic, the second one not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.