Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Calcium in young boars urine

HappyCavys

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Yesterday, I adopted a young boar, who is almost 2 months old. This morning, I noticed his urine is very white and powdery, which I am assuming is from calcium. Since he is a young pig, is it okay to be seeing calcium in his urine? Should I get him some parsley to eat, or wait until the deposits have cleared up?

Currently, he is eating timothy hay, and Oxbow adult pellets, and I am trying to get him to eat red romaine lettuce, cilantro, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and red/orange bell peppers. Not all at the same time, but those are the different veggies I have for them.

Any help would be very appreciated, I don't want to give him too much calcium, but I also don't want to stop giving him calcium if he needs it.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We don't worry as much about urinary calcium in young pigs as we do in older ones. As long as he's under six months old, and as long as the dried urine spots are powdery and not gritty, don't worry. He can eat pretty much what he wants. And with your giving him timothy and timothy pellets, he needs the parsley for its calcium content.

Just be aware that in adult pigs, Oxbow pellets have been implicated in stone formation in some pigs. Not in others, though, so there's probably a genetic component to the process. Same thing with romaine lettuce and cilantro.

Do try hard to get him to eat peppers. He needs vitamin C, and peppers are an excellent source.

HappyCavys

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I'll keep an eye out with the Oxbow. I gave him some pepper a few minutes ago, hopefully he eats it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.