Thread: New piggie is scratching periodically!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

New piggie is scratching periodically!

Hi everyone! I'm new around here as I just adopted my 12 week old piggie girl. I've been watching her for a couple days and she seems to like scratching herself with her hind legs and sometimes bite her fur after I pet her. She has no fur missing and no irritation on her skin, eating and drinking normally. Is this normal? Any suggestions on types of veg to put in her diet to lessen the need to scratch? Thank you for your replies!

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Re: New piggie is scratching periodically!

Mites are microscopic so you wont see them on the skin. You will need to treat her.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon4EverEver View Post
    Mites are microscopic so you wont see them on the skin. You will need to treat her.
    She only scratches once in a while, how can you be sure it is mites?

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Well the way you made it sound is that she has been scratching. Everyone has itches. If it gets any worse then I would treat her for mights. If she starts to lose some hair then thats a sign for sure. There isnt a way to 100% tell unless you go to a vet and they take a skin graph and look under a microscope.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3906 Post(s)

There isnt a way to 100% tell unless you go to a vet and they take a skin graph and look under a microscope.
    No, sorry, they don't. Skin grafts (not graphs) are for putting skin back on. What a vet will do take a very painful scraping of the skin and look at it under the microscope for mites. That process will miss them half the time, and the pigs will have mites without them showing up in that examination.

Your pig is probably too young to be treated with ivermectin, which you could do yourself. If she weighs more than 350 grams, you can do it. If less, you'll have to get kitten Revolution, which means seeing a vet.

Do NOT let them do the skin scraping. It hurts the pig, it costs you money, and the end result is the same -- treat the pig for mites.

Treating the pig for mites, even if they're not present, won't hurt the pig, and will take care of any other parasites they may have.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Welcome to the forums! Pigs will scratch themselves occasionally but if it's frequent and/or vigorous, and there is biting of the skin then it is very likely to be mites. You can read more about mites here:

http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

(Edit: I'd recommend following bpatters advice)

7. "Thank you, Fay, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    No, sorry, they don't. Skin grafts (not graphs) are for putting skin back on. What a vet will do take a very painful scraping of the skin and look at it under the microscope for mites. That process will miss them half the time, and the pigs will have mites without them showing up in that examination.

Your pig is probably too young to be treated with ivermectin, which you could do yourself. If she weighs more than 350 grams, you can do it. If less, you'll have to get kitten Revolution, which means seeing a vet.

Do NOT let them do the skin scraping. It hurts the pig, it costs you money, and the end result is the same -- treat the pig for mites.

Treating the pig for mites, even if they're not present, won't hurt the pig, and will take care of any other parasites they may have.
    Thank you for the helpful information, am I able to aquire the medication over the counter? Or do I need a prescription?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3906 Post(s)

It depends. How much does the pig weigh?

If she's less than 350 grams, then yes, you need a prescription for kitten Revolution.

If more, you can treat yourself. This is the easiest ivermectin to use: http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pou...AW/ref=sr_1_6?

Post back here when you've gotten it, and we'll help you with dosage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It depends. How much does the pig weigh?

If she's less than 350 grams, then yes, you need a prescription for kitten Revolution.

If more, you can treat yourself. This is the easiest ivermectin to use: http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pou...AW/ref=sr_1_6?

Post back here when you've gotten it, and we'll help you with dosage.
    I will purchase a small scale for her as the ones I have at home are on too big of a scale. Thank you for the link, I've seen paste versions of this medication before, I think I can get those quicker than ordering online, but how different do you think it is from the pour on variety?
    The pastes I'm referring to are these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440192823050.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	76125

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3906 Post(s)

Those paste things are desiged to treat 1000+ pound horses and cows, and it's MUCH easier to overdose a guinea pig with those than with the link I gave you. It can be done, but you just have to massively dilute the stuff. See the links at www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html -- that has more information about it.

Kitchen scales that go up to about five pounds are ideal for guinea pigs, and you can get them for about $15 at places like Target, Walmart, etc.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Those paste things are desiged to treat 1000+ pound horses and cows, and it's MUCH easier to overdose a guinea pig with those than with the link I gave you. It can be done, but you just have to massively dilute the stuff. See the links at www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html -- that has more information about it.

Kitchen scales that go up to about five pounds are ideal for guinea pigs, and you can get them for about $15 at places like Target, Walmart, etc.
    I will definitely check out walmart soon. Will this stuff harm her if say she didn't actually have mites? I know it's better than sorry later but won't it have aide effects on her if she doesn't have mite issues?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,316 Rec'd/5,831 Posts
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3906 Post(s)

From my post, #7 , above.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

From my post, #7 , above.
    Okay thanks for redirecting me back to what you said, the word overdose came up and I got sweaty palmed. Thanks again for being so helpful! I'm so glad for such an amazing forum :)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Go to the vet and tell them, you think your Ginny may have mites or dandruff. Ask them to sell you some spray or some cream.

Edited by bpatters: Neither mites nor dandruff (which pigs almost never have) needs a vet visit.
    Last edited by bpatters; 08-30-15 at 09:03 am.

User Tag List