Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds What are they Communicating to Us?

chetanshah

Cavy Slave
So Finally we adopted a pair of female guinea pigs, apparently they are sisters(not from same mother but from same family) and are together since birth.lol

One is Cute American(Bubbles) and other one is stunning silkie(Cuddles)!

I have 3 questions to ask(of many more):confused:
1.When we pick Cuddles, she is very skittish but as soon as she is with me or my wife she is content and sits quietly staring at us or relaxing or sometimes even napping.
But Bubbles, when picked up, immediately starts making this weird noise till the time we put her back to her cage.
View attachment sound.zip

I am not sure what this means some people say its content and enjoying and some say the opposite.

2. Another thing I noticed is when we pick up Cuddles, Bubbles(again) starts making this shrieking noise.
We give both of them equal treats, time and love.

3. Even though they have a lot of things in their cage including hay and chew able toys, paper toys, etc they still like to eat/chew on cardboard/plastic from hideys/tunnels. How do I stop this? or further more, Do I need to stop this?

I really don't want to misunderstand them and hence I am asking this to the best possible forum.
They are about 41/2 - 5 months old.
We have them for a month now.:eek:

Last edited:

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My boy did that when I first got him, they are just scared and want to be put back down, I find wrapping them in a fleece blanket calms mind down during lap time.

As far as the chewing goes. they need to chew because their teeth are constantly growing. I like to use cardboard houses becuase it gives them somthing to chew on and they both seem to like it.

Hope this helps :)

CassiesCavy

Cavy Slave
The squeaking noise Bubbles is making could mean a number of things. She could be nervous, happy, or in pain (which I doubt, but just incase, I would monitor her) When you pick up Cuddles, Bubbles might be upset that she is not being picked up yet, or Bubbles might just miss Cuddles. I don't really have any information on chewing on hideys or tunnels, but I'm sure someone else might be able to tell you about with it. I recommend giving them some extra floor time with you so you can bond. During floor time it's good to place hideys around so that they have a place to hide if they get nervous (or just sleepy). If you feed them veggies during floor time it will help them associate you with good things. Guinea pigs tend to be skittish for the first few months, but they will warm up to you. Good luck with your piggies.

chetanshah

Cavy Slave
My boy did that when I first got him, they are just scared and want to be put back down, I find wrapping them in a fleece blanket calms mind down during lap time.

As far as the chewing goes. they need to chew because their teeth are constantly growing. I like to use cardboard houses becuase it gives them somthing to chew on and they both seem to like it.

Hope this helps :)

I have tried the towel trick it makes them feel safe but she will still make this noise. Also Bubbles runs away in her hidey as soon as she senses any activity. Cuddles is fine with us being in the cage area these days.
and is it OK to let them chew on cardboard??

chetanshah

Cavy Slave
The squeaking noise Bubbles is making could mean a number of things. She could be nervous, happy, or in pain (which I doubt, but just incase, I would monitor her) When you pick up Cuddles, Bubbles might be upset that she is not being picked up yet, or Bubbles might just miss Cuddles. I don't really have any information on chewing on hideys or tunnels, but I'm sure someone else might be able to tell you about with it. I recommend giving them some extra floor time with you so you can bond. During floor time it's good to place hideys around so that they have a place to hide if they get nervous (or just sleepy). If you feed them veggies during floor time it will help them associate you with good things. Guinea pigs tend to be skittish for the first few months, but they will warm up to you. Good luck with your piggies.

Its definately not pain I do check on her as soon as she makes the noise. Ok I can think why she is upset on being picked up yet or missing Cuddles, What Can I do about it? Because once Bubbles start to make the noise it makes Cuddles really uncomfortable. And sometimes its Cuddles who makes the noise if we pick up Bubbles :) Their Cuteness know no limits! :)

I do feed them veggies, Hay and provide with hideys during floor time. and I am always there with them.
Some days they will just eat and go back to the hidey. Some days they will keep running around! Such a pleasure to watch them.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have tried the towel trick it makes them feel safe but she will still make this noise. Also Bubbles runs away in her hidey as soon as she senses any activity. Cuddles is fine with us being in the cage area these days.
and is it OK to let them chew on cardboard??

Yes it is. Most homemade toys are made from TP rolls stuffed with Hay. It's harmless and my piggies love it too.

She is probably just scared. It takes a few months for guinea pigs to get used to you. Maybe look into buying a snuggle sack. You can also hand feed them their vegies so they get used to your scent.

CassiesCavy

Cavy Slave
It seems like you are doing all the right things, @chetanshah . Keep up the good work! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.