Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Colonel is squeaking when he pees

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Colonel is pretty spunky this morning! I didn’t expect him to be. Standing up begging for morning veg with the rest of the crew. [emoji16]

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
YAY!!! That's really great to know. Did the vet get any probiotics for him after surgery ? Our vet had recommended Bene-Bac Plus to offset the effects on appetite by antibiotics.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Colonel is pretty spunky this morning! I didn’t expect him to be. Standing up begging for morning veg with the rest of the crew. [emoji16]

Can't tell you how happy I am to hear that. Way to go Colonel Mustard!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
YAY!!! That's really great to know. Did the vet get any probiotics for him after surgery ? Our vet had recommended Bene-Bac Plus to offset the effects on appetite by antibiotics.

I already keep that in stock [emoji16]

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I was going to try to take a pic of his incision but he wasn’t having any of it. It looks great though. Kinda looks like he had a tummy tuck. The other pigs will think he’s so vain.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I swear to God, there is not enough Xanax in the Western Hemisphere to be Colonel’s Mom today! Went to go check and change out pads in his cage and he has a tiny sliver of hay sticking straight out of the middle of his eye?! He also will not stop standing on his hind legs and begging for treats. I mean, I’m thrilled he feels well enough to do that but I’m afraid he’s going to hurt himself. Crazy pig [emoji3064]

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How is the Colonel doing today?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Still awesome! He’s like a new pig! So spunky [emoji16]

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So very glad you made the decision to do the surgery. I'm sure the Colonel is too.

So very happy for both of you!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Way to go, Colonel! Congrats to you and your hooman!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I’m shocked how well he’s doing. He didn’t do this well last time at all. Seeing the size of those stones makes me think surgical pain is way less than what it was when those were rolling around in there!

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
Can you put down thr name of your vet. For cavy owners in Michigan it will be helpful.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Sure...where do I do that exactly?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sure...where do I do that exactly?

I would imagine you can do that right here. Folks who have replied to this thread will get a notification (IF they've chose to do so) when it's updated.

How IS the Colonel doing? I've been wondering about him.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
He is doing wonderfully! He’s like a spry young boy again. I’ve even seen him popcorn several times.

We saw Dr. Rivas, the owner of Kimball Animal Hospital in Clawson, MI. It is not an exotics vet, however, Dr. Rivas spent several years working on exotics prior to coming to Kimball. He did not initially do exotics at the new practice because he didn’t have the right equipment and staff. After upgrading the clinic and training staff he began doing exotics again.

Dr. Rivas also neutered our rabbit and removed a mass from one of my other pigs. They all recovered quickly and had no complications. He has been wonderful!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thank you for sharing Colonel's medical updates and including pictures along the way. It helps me learn so much from other members such as yourself and those who reply with information.

I am so glad he is doing well now!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I needed a few days but I wanted to finish off Colonel Medical thread.

On Tuesday, February 4th, I had to take Colonel to the vet and let him go. He had developed another stone, so we were doing palliative care. He was enjoying life with his new roommate and doing well. Unfortunately, at some point Monday night, his urethra had become partially blocked so he was retaining urine. He was still able to pee, just not well enough. While there were things we maybe could have done to keep him a bit longer, it just didn’t seem right to do so.

Colonel fought long and hard for his 6.5 years. His last couple months, while not perfect, were amazing. He so enjoyed finally having a little buddy that he liked. He was a really great boy and I miss him so much.

His roommate, General Guineaus was heartbroken. By Friday evening he would barely eat his veggies. So while I was certainly not ready, he needed a friend, so we adopted a new baby boy him yesterday. Introducing: Brigadier General aka Briggsy
efb125afec20c81310ad1db14920ba69.jpg

He’s scared stiff but he and General Guineaus will fight on together. Thank you to everyone that shared Colonel Mustards journey with me and for all the help and comfort over the years. Especially, [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] whose experience and wisdom made it possible for Colonel to 6.5 glorious years!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@barbaramudge

I am so very sorry to hear that the Colonel has passed. At last check he seemed to be doing well and I was so happy for the both of you.

It was so wonderful to hear that the General helped make his twilight time happier. I'm sure Briggsy will keep him company and the two will become fantastic friends.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, Colonel Mustard. I have no doubt you were greeted with a 21 wheek salute.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
On Tuesday, February 4th, I had to take Colonel to the vet and let him go. While there were things we maybe could have done to keep him a bit longer, it just didn’t seem right to do so.

We just never seem to have enough time with them and it is so painful when we have to make the decision to let them go. What a lucky little man to share his life with a wonderful piggy Mom! As you may know, we had to let Sparky go on New Years Day and are still grieving for him. I'm happy you were able to move through the heartbreak and put the needs of General Guineas first.

Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Colonel Mustard! You will be missed by your family and all of us who have shared your journey.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost him. But what a cutie you got for the General.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.