Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Colonel is squeaking when he pees

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
He doesn't like pedialyte at all :( How much should I try to get in him for the whole day. I got close to 20cc in him last night before bed but I didn't know how often to do it. I'd like to know how much in a day to shoot for between what he drinks himself and what I give him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then try another flavor or pedialyte. Or get a bit of apple or carrot juice and put some in the water before you syringe it.

I'd shoot for 20-30 cc. a day in addition to what he drinks, and probably be happy for whatever I could get. More would be better.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I tried that all last time with no luck. He's just stubborn I guess. That's ok though, I'll get it in him. Got vet appt for tomorrow morning. If it's stones and I elect not to do a surgery would I have to put him down right then or is there a scenario where you medicate and wait a bit? I'm still crossing my fingers for just a uti or something but I want to be as prepared as I can be before I go. I really appreciate all your help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's a choice you'd have to make about waiting on possible euthanasia. If his urethra gets blocked, he'll be in extreme pain, and you might be left searching for an emergency vet during the night or on a weekend to put him out of his misery. For me, I think it would depend on whether he's really got a stone or not.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
As sad as it is there are several vets within 10 minutes of my house that will euthanize him, they just won't treat him. I can imagine those 10 minutes would feel like a lifetime though if he's squealing in pain. I guess we'll see what the X-ray shows and what the vet thinks.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Waiting at the vet. Feel like I'm going to be sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
We're all hoping for the best for both of you.

Let us know how it goes.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Thinking of you and your baby in this terribly hard time. Hold in there.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb and Penny and I are sending you and Colonel good luck for a positive vet visit, nose touches.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone! Woohoo, Colonel only has a UTI!!! Never thought I'd be excited about that but I am. She did an ultrasound and a urinalysis. No X-ray because she feels 90+% positive. There weren't any crystals in the urine just bacteria and a tiny bit of blood. She said the ultrasound was a very good picture and nothing on palpitation. I even told her that I was more than happy to pay for the X-ray, not to not do it just to save money but she genuinely felt it wasn't needed. She's going to call me next week to check in. I am so relieved!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good news! Hope it clears up quickly.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Yay! Good vibes for a fast recovery for his uti :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
You all rock! I don't comment or post often anymore but you all are just so amazing. Special thanks to @bpatters and @spy9doc for sharing their expertise and being supportive even though we make them crazy! All the admins and senior members are so great. I'm just so damn thankful to have you all around!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Yay, we're wheeking with happiness for Colonel and you! I hope he feels better fast!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@bpatters and/or @spy9doc I totally forgot to the ask the vet, do either of you know if it's like people on antibiotics and he'll "feel" better in 24/48 hours? Maybe start drinking on his own again? I think it's so odd that he will eat everything in sight but he won't drink. I was just wondering. Thanks again!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He may not be back up to snuff until after he's off the antibiotics. Watch him carefully, and weigh him daily, to make sure that he's eating enough and is not losing weight. Any antibiotic can mess up their appetites, and Baytril is especially bad at doing it.

If you're giving him an antibiotic, also give a probiotic an hour or so after the antibiotic. It won't hurt, and it may help.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I couldn't find any benebac but I have some acidophilus to give him till my Amazon order comes. The vet did tell me to keep a close eye on him to be sure the Baytril wasn't to hard on him so I'll be watching him. I only got 15cc's of water in him tonight though. Hopefully tomorrow I can get more in him before he gets to upset. He did seem a little more comfortable when he peed on me tonight though so hopefully the metacam is making him more comfortable. She said I could give him the higher dose if it seemed like he needed it but I'm hoping this dose will be enough.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
As is most often the case, I agree with @bpatters advice. I would add that it is still vitally important to syringe as much liquid as you can. Did you try mixing a little bit of juice with the unflavored Pedialyte? Maybe a tiny bit of carrot juice?

As a reminder, Metacam isn't a pain medication, but an antiflammatory medication much like ibuprofen or naproxyn. If you need stronger pain control, then tramadol is often prescribed. Although not standard protocol, I believe in dosing Metacam at half the dose but twice as often. Dosing every 12 hours really doesn't give him a steady-state level of relief.

He is so stubborn. I have made him carrot infused water. He still won't take it willingly but the fist 10cc go down without to much upset. I figured as long as I got at least the 10cc's in him each time I wouldn't make him flip out to get the rest in. I plan to continue that until he's back up to drinking a good amount on his own.

The vet I saw this time is in agreement with you all on the dosing. She said, "dosing is once a day but most find 1/2 a dose twice a day is more effective" and I just smiled and nodded. I gave the forum all the credit when she said I was the most educated Guinea pig owner she's ever had!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Colonel seems way more uncomfortable tonight. Not laying down for more than a few minutes at a time and more curled up than normal. Shifting weight from one foot to the other. Poofy, hunching and backing up to his supports. Like this:

Still eating just fine and often. Less poops than normal but the ones he has done appear normal. Not squeaking when he goes but more teeth chattering than before. I'm assuming that is due to discomfort. While Guinea pigs are different from people, I have to think it's probably just as uncomfortable as it is for us to have a uti. My question is, should I call the vet tomorrow for better pain meds? Or should I be taking him back in?

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Thanks! He's my sweet boy. This pic is my fav:
cff3251c29daa58597b7baeeb34601f4.jpg

A boy and his ball :)

Called the vet and she said that since he's still eating great and excited about veg and not crying when he goes, she'd prefer to wait another day to see if the antibiotics get a hold and relieve him some. She said she hates to slow his system or have him be to sleepy to eat well but that if he starts to cry or anything or isn't more comfortable by tomorrow she would give him something. Did I tell you guys that they only charged me the office visit and meds because his surgery was less than a year ago? I thought that was pretty cool.

Last night syringing water went so horrible that now I'm afraid to do it again. He squirmed so much, even in his burrito and then my syringe suddenly lost resistance and shot forward. He started coughing and acting like he was going to throw up. I've been watching him carefully and listening to him breath. I hope he didn't aspirate any of the water. I wish he would just drink on his own. I also wish I had someone who could come over and help me get the hand of it. I've watched so many videos. I can do the meds but he's so awful about the water. I don't know what to do with him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.