Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/565 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Re: Colonel is squeaking when he pees

I'm so relieved to hear that your baby didn't have bladder stones. My best wishes that Colonel gets back to his happy and healthy self in record time.

2. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

@bpatters and/or @spy9doc I totally forgot to the ask the vet, do either of you know if it's like people on antibiotics and he'll "feel" better in 24/48 hours? Maybe start drinking on his own again? I think it's so odd that he will eat everything in sight but he won't drink. I was just wondering. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,126 Rec'd/5,669 Posts
    Mentioned
    2003 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3707 Post(s)

He may not be back up to snuff until after he's off the antibiotics. Watch him carefully, and weigh him daily, to make sure that he's eating enough and is not losing weight. Any antibiotic can mess up their appetites, and Baytril is especially bad at doing it.

If you're giving him an antibiotic, also give a probiotic an hour or so after the antibiotic. It won't hurt, and it may help.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I couldn't find any benebac but I have some acidophilus to give him till my Amazon order comes. The vet did tell me to keep a close eye on him to be sure the Baytril wasn't to hard on him so I'll be watching him. I only got 15cc's of water in him tonight though. Hopefully tomorrow I can get more in him before he gets to upset. He did seem a little more comfortable when he peed on me tonight though so hopefully the metacam is making him more comfortable. She said I could give him the higher dose if it seemed like he needed it but I'm hoping this dose will be enough.

Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barbaramudge View Post
    do either of you know if it's like people on antibiotics and he'll "feel" better in 24/48 hours? Maybe start drinking on his own again? I think it's so odd that he will eat everything in sight but he won't drink.
    As is most often the case, I agree with @bpatters advice. I would add that it is still vitally important to syringe as much liquid as you can. Did you try mixing a little bit of juice with the unflavored Pedialyte? Maybe a tiny bit of carrot juice?

As a reminder, Metacam isn't a pain medication, but an antiflammatory medication much like ibuprofen or naproxyn. If you need stronger pain control, then tramadol is often prescribed. Although not standard protocol, I believe in dosing Metacam at half the dose but twice as often. Dosing every 12 hours really doesn't give him a steady-state level of relief.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    As is most often the case, I agree with @bpatters advice. I would add that it is still vitally important to syringe as much liquid as you can. Did you try mixing a little bit of juice with the unflavored Pedialyte? Maybe a tiny bit of carrot juice?

As a reminder, Metacam isn't a pain medication, but an antiflammatory medication much like ibuprofen or naproxyn. If you need stronger pain control, then tramadol is often prescribed. Although not standard protocol, I believe in dosing Metacam at half the dose but twice as often. Dosing every 12 hours really doesn't give him a steady-state level of relief.
    He is so stubborn. I have made him carrot infused water. He still won't take it willingly but the fist 10cc go down without to much upset. I figured as long as I got at least the 10cc's in him each time I wouldn't make him flip out to get the rest in. I plan to continue that until he's back up to drinking a good amount on his own.

The vet I saw this time is in agreement with you all on the dosing. She said, "dosing is once a day but most find 1/2 a dose twice a day is more effective" and I just smiled and nodded. I gave the forum all the credit when she said I was the most educated Guinea pig owner she's ever had!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barbaramudge View Post
    The vet I saw this time is in agreement with you all on the dosing. She said, "dosing is once a day but most find 1/2 a dose twice a day is more effective" and I just smiled and nodded. I gave the forum all the credit when she said I was the most educated Guinea pig owner she's ever had!
    Sometimes I get lucky. It's always nice when one's opinion is verified, not vilified!

9. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Colonel seems way more uncomfortable tonight. Not laying down for more than a few minutes at a time and more curled up than normal. Shifting weight from one foot to the other. Poofy, hunching and backing up to his supports. Like this:

Still eating just fine and often. Less poops than normal but the ones he has done appear normal. Not squeaking when he goes but more teeth chattering than before. I'm assuming that is due to discomfort. While Guinea pigs are different from people, I have to think it's probably just as uncomfortable as it is for us to have a uti. My question is, should I call the vet tomorrow for better pain meds? Or should I be taking him back in?

Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)

You know him better than anyone and if you perceive that he's in pain, he probably is. I suspect that it's going to take 2-3 days for the antibiotics for the UTI to begin to have a noticeable effect. If the vet will prescribe without a visit, then I suggest asking her if she will prescribe Tramadol which is a very mild narcotic and pain medication. Just be aware that it will probably make him "high" and he will be lethargic and sleepy a short time after dosing. It's not something to be used long-term, but can provide significant relief while he's in the early stages of recovery.

Depending on Michigan laws, the vet may not carry Tramadol and you will need to have a compounding pharmacy prepare it.

I don't recall ever seeing a pic of Colonel........he's adorable!

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Thanks! He's my sweet boy. This pic is my fav:
    A boy and his ball :)

Called the vet and she said that since he's still eating great and excited about veg and not crying when he goes, she'd prefer to wait another day to see if the antibiotics get a hold and relieve him some. She said she hates to slow his system or have him be to sleepy to eat well but that if he starts to cry or anything or isn't more comfortable by tomorrow she would give him something. Did I tell you guys that they only charged me the office visit and meds because his surgery was less than a year ago? I thought that was pretty cool.

Last night syringing water went so horrible that now I'm afraid to do it again. He squirmed so much, even in his burrito and then my syringe suddenly lost resistance and shot forward. He started coughing and acting like he was going to throw up. I've been watching him carefully and listening to him breath. I hope he didn't aspirate any of the water. I wish he would just drink on his own. I also wish I had someone who could come over and help me get the hand of it. I've watched so many videos. I can do the meds but he's so awful about the water. I don't know what to do with him.

Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,126 Rec'd/5,669 Posts
    Mentioned
    2003 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3707 Post(s)

I find water easier to give from 1 cc syringes. They're easier to control, and easier to see how much you're giving. I give about .25 cc at a time, and usually leave the syringe in the side of the mouth until the pig has swallowed.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I find water easier to give from 1 cc syringes. They're easier to control, and easier to see how much you're giving. I give about .25 cc at a time, and usually leave the syringe in the side of the mouth until the pig has swallowed.
    Thanks @bpatters, I'll try that tonight. I've been sitting here for an hour trying to get myself settled enough to try it. It really did scare me last night. His urine tonight looks pretty clear so hopefully that means we're working our way to better. Feels like it's going to be a long couple weeks with him being so irritated and squirmy. I don't know why I have so much trouble controlling something so small!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)

Do you have any difficulty getting syringes? I usually have 3ml and 5ml on hand and will be happy to send you some if you need them. Just PM me mailing information. Otherwise, come on over and we'll do it together!

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I was going to order some on Amazon. I have some 3 & 5 but the tip is super short because there's meant to be a needle screwed on. My friend brought me them from work because we thought maybe we could cut the little collar part off to make the end more exposed but we couldn't do it without breaking them.

You are still in Connecticut right @spy9doc? Cause if you've moved closer I would be there in a heartbeat! I really do wish I had someone like you or @bpatters close to me. I'm a good researcher and a quick study but sometimes there's just nothing better than a hands on demo for me. This feels like trying to learn electrical. I understand how it works, I know what to do but the doing is harder in practice and it feels like a mistake can be deadly. It's an environment that my anxiety thrives in.

I did use the 1cc syringe last night as @bpatters suggested and it was better. At least I didn't feel like I was going to drown him but by the 5th one he was pretty pissed off about it so I don't feel like I got enough in him.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,497 Rec'd/1,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)

Nope......still in provincial New England.

No, one can't successfully cut off the luer-lock mechanism on most syringes. HOWEVER, I buy syringes from a veterinary supply and my 3ml. syringes have a tip on them that work extremely well for this type of situation. I just looked at them again and they are so small that I think they would be perfect. Please let me send you a few because you may be doing this for a while. Allow me to pay forward. Once again, PM me a mailing address and I'll get them off to you promptly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Questions/concerns:

Colonel is still crying when he pees and poops. He's been on the Baytril for a week as of tomorrow. I haven't heard him cry in his cage, which doesn't mean he's not, but it seems like it's mostly after I syringe him his water. He also was very sensitive about his belly afterwards.

Since my only experience is with my own UTI's I'm making some assumptions. A: having a full bladder is way more uncomfortable than an empty one. B: the discomfort should be minimal 1/2 way through treatment.

So my questions are: Should I be calling the vet again tomorrow? Should I be syringing less water, say 5cc instead of 10cc, but doing it more often throughout the day?

He is definitely still peeing, quite a bit actually, so I know he's not blocked by an unseen stone and it seems to be clear, not pink. Still eating great, begging for veggies, and as active as usual. I just don't want to miss anything or make it harder on him than need be. Thanks again!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    390 Post(s)

I'd call the vet, with antibiotics he should be mostly better and not in pain by now. He probably needs a different antibiotic or a combination of 2 antibiotics. Poor baby, I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,126 Rec'd/5,669 Posts
    Mentioned
    2003 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3707 Post(s)

Maybe he's got interstitial cystitis, which the antibiotics wouldn't touch. Did the vet consider that?

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Maybe he's got interstitial cystitis, which the antibiotics wouldn't touch. Did the vet consider that?
    Not that she mentioned, though she may if I call her. He had bacteria and a bit of blood in the urine, no crystals, no stones on ultrasound so she assumed basic infection. I guess I'll call and see what she says.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Colonel is squeaking when he pees

Day 10 on the baytril. Yesterday was the first time we had no crying while peeing or pooping at all, no sitting puffed up or teeth chattering. Today was the first time I've seen him use the water bottle at all since this started. He only took a couple sips so I'll still be syringing. Syringing is much easier now with @spy9doc syringes she sent and some additional carrot juice mixed in. I'm hopeful that in the next day or two he will start drinking again. I'm suppose to all the vet again on Friday to discuss whether or not we will continue the baytril an extra week or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List