Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Colonel is squeaking when he pees

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wishing the Colonel the best of luck, and a speedy recovery. I do hope all goes well.
Pulling for the Colonel!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
There’s another woman (vet) that has been successfully using the procedure on guinea pigs as well. Won’t help Colonel but it’s good news for future pigs!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I am so nervous. Anyone awake enough to check my list and see if I’m missing anything to prep for tomorrow’s surgery?

Clean white fleece
Hospital cage set up
Clean carrier
Bagged food for vet
Cuddle sack

Symithicone
Pain meds
Motility drug (just in case)
Critical care
Syringes (feeding & meds)
Scale
Log book
Pedialite
Baby food
Lots of white pee pads for frequent changes

Am I missing anything? I feel way more prepared and capable then I did last time. I’ve had to do a lot of medical this last couple years with all my pigs. I still feel like a basket case. I’ve got my bed all set up on the couch and my schedule as clear as I can get it for the next week or so. I just would feel better if someone double checked my list. Thanks everyone!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks to me like you're as prepared as you can be.

Myself and my boys wish the Colonel the best of luck today. Come home safe Colonel Mustard and a speedy recovery!

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
How about a used T-Shirt with your smell on it. That way he knows you're always there with him. When my Zorra passed after surgery with the Vet, that is the only regret I have, not knowing if she had our smell with her during her last moments.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@Cavydad1019 That’s a great idea! I’ll go dig something out now. Vet just called so I’m to take him up in 20 mins. We only live a mile from the vet so they had me keep him home till it’s his turn to keep his stress level as low as possible. It’s not helping my stress level at all but it’s good for him.

Thanks everyone for all your help and kind thoughts. Hopefully I will be posting in the next couple hours that we are made it through step 1 and are home resting comfortably.

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
We are all pulling for Colonel and you.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Sending best wishes to you and Colonel!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Ok, we made it through surgery and are home resting comfortably. He still seems pretty stoned. He will eat and veggies I give but is not interested in hay or water. I had to run out for a doc appt and to get his meds filled but I will probably see if I can get him to eat and drink when I get home. He is definitely mad at me. Exhibit A:

a7f9cd65f69adc393ce870fc822c1ecf.jpg

Here are pictures of the stones they took out.

d6a30724ff12f7666158456414603088.jpg

d9b22e723363e25dcd61520ed730c4ac.jpg

They look to be about 1/4 inch to me. I will check the mm size when I can find something that has mm on it.

I’ll keep you updated on our progress. Please keep the good thoughts coming as my experience is that the surgery itself is often the easy part compared to the days ahead. Thanks again everyone!

Cavydad1019

Cavy Slave
YAY Colonel. Def looks 1/4 inch. Good luck and please do keep us updated.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So glad the Colonel is through phase one. Those are BIG stones from a piggy, poor little man must have been so uncomfortable.

Even if he won't eat his hay, our vet always told us for the first few days, give him whatever he wants. As long as he's eating it'll be ok. Cucumber was always one of Sly's favourites after surgeries.

Sending all our positive vibes and happy thoughts to the Colonel, and to you [MENTION=30035]barbaramudge[/MENTION] !

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt he's mad at you. That's too much for that little brain to process. He's probably just in pain and wishing it would go away.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html, and expect tomorrow to be worse than today.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I doubt he's mad at you. That's too much for that little brain to process. He's probably just in pain and wishing it would go away.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html, and expect tomorrow to be worse than today.

Oh yes, I remember that from the first time. I’m more worried about recovery than the surgery itself. Last time I had no idea what I was doing. Couldn’t even get water into him. Then a very wise woman told me he was a 3 pound pig and I needed to suck it up and just do it. [emoji6] I’ve got the hang of all that now. It’s also nice to not be broke and worried about how to pay for complications!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Then a very wise woman told me he was a 3 pound pig and I needed to suck it up and just do it.

I thought that sounded like something I would say, so I went back through this thread.......and sure enough, there it is!

Interesting to see what lengths I was going to in order to keep Chester alive at the time. I too have learned a lot over the past 4 years and found that I was much more relaxed with the whole process when my recently departed Chip had to be syringe fed.

Those are some mighty big stones! If Colonel is is a good deal of pain, you may want to ask the Vet to prescribe Tramadol which is a bit stronger (and specifically for pain) than Metacam. He should only need it for the first day or two.

BTW, great news!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
He gave me something else, maybe it’s the generic of tramadol? Buprenorphine. It is a tiny amount.
.08 ml. I have to use my magnifying lens just to see the darn line. I also have an antibiotic that they want him to take for 10 days.

My boy Pappy had surgery on a mass last month so I had practice recently. Also since Colonel’s last surgery we’ve done 2 hay pokes and a UTI and that’s just the boys!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Watch him carefully on the bup. It can really zonk a pig out, and it's possible that he won't need quite as much as prescribed.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Yep, they told me that too. He actually got it last week when we were going to just do hospice care. Doesn’t seem to make him to tired but I’m keeping an eye on it.

He’s doing well right now. Eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. I know that won’t likely be the case tomorrow but I’m glad he’s doing well tonight.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
He gave me something else, maybe it’s the generic of tramadol? I had practice recently. Also since Colonel’s last surgery we’ve done 2 hay pokes and a UTI and that’s just the boys!

As an FYI, Buprenorphine isn't the same as Tramadol, but is a synthetic opiate analog. Depending on the strength, it may even be a bit stronger, so yes, do watch to see that he isn't overdosed.

I don't envy your Vet bills! You've really had more than your share of piggy illnesses. Your cavies are very fortunate to have a "Mom" who cares so much for them and who will go to any length to keep them happy and healthy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.