Thread: Shamed and Praised: The Fight for Guinea Pigs.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Shamed and Praised: The Fight for Guinea Pigs.

I run an ad on CL in two sections about guinea pigs. It's a helpful ad filled with 'DO's and 'DON'T"s sort of stuff. Chickenwire bad, timothy hay good. It's a pretty long post, but I keep it up because it matters to me. Every other pet has a dedicated 'be warned' or 'remember to adopt' type of repeated listing, so I figured I'd make one for guinea pigs, too. On the list of 'animals people buy but have no idea how to take care of' guinea pigs are in the top 3 I'd say.

I've mostly received positive feedback. Cute email subjects like 'why does my piggy like to poop in their pellets' and 'if i had a nickle for every wheek', which was really funny because the woman didn't know what a wheek was, and after she started giving hay and romaine she learned quick she won the happy pig lottery. Haha.

Overall, I feel like I've made a difference.

I've been active in many pet circles before, and while there's always a troll on FB or TakePart or wherever who says things like, 'they r just dogs' or 'who cares shoot all the cats i hate cats'. You know, broad things. People who lack compassion and empathy to understand the fight against breeders, and the struggle to maintain millions of stray animals. I rarely see personal attacks.

Note that I do understand it's CL, it's anonymous, and there's jerks everywhere. However, I just wanted to share an email I just got this evening after flagging a suspected breeder this morning whose post is now gone.

"Jesus Christ shut the hell up. Nobody gives a shit. Its a little stupid pet that some kid will want and not pay attention too. Hell people in other countries even eat them. People like you annoy the shit out of me. You care more about a stupid little animal more than you do people"

So, I know that here on GPC I am surrounded by support on the matter of 'who cares' about guinea pigs, but replying to the guy wasn't an option. There's no discussion worth having with an anonymous, and it would just reveal my email and create personal issues through the magic of the net. So instead I thought I'd come here.

Two points to be made:

1.) People do care, and people like him are the reason why. The fact that children AND adults are getting these pets and neglecting them through ignorance or disinterest is one of the main points of my CL post. People in other countries eat cats, dogs, even people. That doesn't mean any of them are worth less or more than any other being on the planet. Every being on the planet deserves to be treated with respect. Lastly, the idea that caring about something automatically means I, or we, or any lover of any thing or things cares less about our own species, or that we are better and therefore deserve the only care and interest on the planet, is one of the biggest reasons pet abuse and neglect permeates society.

2.) We are making a difference!

Our flags, our information, and our dedication to spreading the information and proper care for guinea pigs is making a difference, and it's making breeders and neglecters mad that they are being called out.

So, with all that said, I wanted to ask the community if they were active in trying to inform the public about guinea pig care, active in guinea pig product reform, or anything else and if there were any stories they wanted to share about their experience.

Since horror or negative stories are just as empowering and encouraging (in terms of furthering resolve) as positive ones, I wanted to post in 'The Kitchen' so that people were free to post both their praise stories, and their shamed stories.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Re: Shamed and Praised: The Fight for Guinea Pigs.

I wouldn't worry about it, you're doing a great thing. I help host charity events twice a year and I almost always get some kind of comment like that 'X is WAY more important, you horrible person!'. Just ignore these type of people, people who genuinely don't care about an animals well being often suffer from some type of antisocial/narcissistic personality disorder or on the more extreme end - they're a psychopath. Regardless these are people who lack empathy to varying degrees, stay FAR away from these type of people! Of course you have various occasions where people are uneducated, they grew up being taught a certain thing and then try to defend that opinion. Sometimes you can make these type of people see sense but plenty of times you cannot, especially the less intelligent/educated ones. But when it comes to the message you described I would wager the former is the case rather than the latter.

(Note: Not ALL people in that spectrum of personality disorders is cruel to animals it's just a common feature, this lack of empathy can often turn towards humans thus the 'stay away' part, psychopaths especially are great at pretending to be caring and charming but it's just that 'pretend', copied behavior, they don't genuinely feel empathy - Which is why a lot of the worst murderers are psychopaths)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

its sounds like an awesome thing you are doing, and obviously helping a lot of people out who have questions about GP's
    Its sad but unfortunately there are some idiots out there who feel the need to put people down constantly
    carry on helping and ignore the haters!

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

When my Guinea pig had pups I had 3 choices.

1. Give them to the humane society or Pigs and Buns local pet foster care

2. Give them to random people exclaiming! AWE! They are so Cute! I want one! 1?! ONE?!?! one...

3. Keep them, take care of them and in the process educate people on my FB about how to take care of guinea pigs.

User Tag List