Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Re: Light red color in urine (?)

Mooshy's weight holding steady. Brought her home Sat at 1160 gm/1209 pm. 1188 Sun am/1209 pm. 1188 Mon am... Saw a little light bloody spot but I'm not panicking. Her poops are less and smaller than the pic I posted on Sat showing a lot. She was syringe fed that am and I haven't done it at home. She's eating ok so I assume the low poop count could be the result of not eating more with critical care. So keep not feeding CC as long as she's doing ok with her regular stuff? Hard to tell with pellets cuz it's always been on and off with it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts

Can any flavor Pedialyte be given?

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Yes, but they tend to like the unflavored better. I think the flavored has more sugar in it -- check the labels to see.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

2 more days left on the abx. Poops are still small and a few weird shape too. No more dried one. Not real mushy but they are soft now after it's been out long enough. Still not as many pooped out as she did on Sat when we fed her in the syringe in the am. But her weight is going on the up side. Here are the # as I weigh am and pm since last Sat. Today had quite the upward swing and I don't see her eating more than usual so this seems weird to me.

Sat
    1160 gm

Sun

Mon

Tue

Wed

Fri pm it's done then I guess we'll see. If the poops don't get bigger then I don't know- maybe time to force feed to get them bigger even though the weight is good.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

No, don't force feed to try to increase the poop size. You really can't tell anything about the poop until she's been off the antibiotics a couple of days.

With the weight gain, keep a close eye on her output. It could signify the start of a bloat episode, and you definitely want to be on top of that at the outset. On the other hand, it could mean no more than that she hadn't pooped or peed in a while. In that case, if you'd weighed her half an hour later, she might have been at the same weight as the previous one.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Thanks! I just weighed her again an hour and half later and it now reads 1220.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Moosh finished her abx on Fri pm. Weighing her each am now and holding steady around 1200-1210 in ams so far and her poops are looking normal now, not many weird ones! Hope this is it with this!

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

I hope so, too!

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

As luck would have it, saw 1 spot 2-3 nights ago and a couple of suspicious areas that aren't red but kinda more brown tone, obviously mixed with urine. So I called the vet and was told to start up the 2 x day TMS abx I still have left for a week. I hope they gave me a 3 week supply as 2 weeks that I was asked to do is obviously gone. I can't tell how much is left in this brown bottle. I hope this does it. Otherwise everything, eating, drinking, activity, etc is normal down to her weight holding steady every am at 1208-1218 gms as the highs and lows, but it's mostly 1212. I'm just glad that this abx doesn't cause stoppage in eating or I'd have to send her back to the vet and I'm broke now! :(

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

So of course now that I have issues so does missy. :/ Just got over the blood in urine with a total of 3 weeks antibiotics (TM). Luckily Mooshy loves the cherry flavor.

I was admitted to the hospital last Thurs from an infection that after 10 days of taking abx it wasn't clearing up. Got out with home IV set up to administer abx myself for at least another week. So when I got home on Tues, of course I saw an issue. None of this could have happened before my breast cancer diagnosis? Ugh! I'm finding whitish/bit of yellowish to it sludge. Doesn't look like calcium deposits to me. I'm not feeding any high calcium veggies- just her usual green leaf lettuce, roma tomato, baby carrot, radicchio, green pepper, snap peas and belgium endive daily split into 2 servings. Her pellets are the same as forever, KMS timothy hay and it's either Orchard Hay or KMS bluegrass hay. She gets reverse osmosis water as usual. Her activity, eating, etc is all very normal. And she doesn't put this out all the time when she pees on the fleece.

Here are a couple of pics I took. Exotic vet is about an hour away and I really don't want to be going out that far with a picc line and active infection. Unfortunately I'm it. I have no one to help. :(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zM1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	76596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zM2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	76597

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Sorry you're not feeling well, and hope you're soon better.

They look like calcium spots to me.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Sorry you're not feeling well, and hope you're soon better.

They look like calcium spots to me.
    What should I do? Maybe it will resolve itself? I assume the abx I have left over is not the solution, I have a week's worth left. Thanks-

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

I wouldn't give an antibiotic for that. Try taking her off pellets and see if that helps.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Thanks bpatters. I took away the pellets the rest of the day yesterday and it got better. What's funny is it's such a habit that she would go to where the bowl was and then take a drink of water. That's what she does when she has pellets, take a bite then take a drink. Was so funny and cute. She's eating "air" then taking a drink. This morning I didn't see any new spots so I gave her pellets back, 2 tbsp a day max.

I think what happened is while I was in the hospital a lady was taking care of Mooshy. Even though I had the instructions written down, since she has cats and just keeps filling the dry food bowl to the top all the time, that's what she did here. I came home and found a bowl full of pellets. Way too much. And Mooshy loves the KMS pellets so I'm sure she chowed it all down for the 5 days I was away. That's why I don't like not only cat/dog owners watching after Mooshy but those gp owners who aren't in the know like you'd get from studying this board. I talk about Mooshy on breastcancer.org and fellow owners are giving tips and I"m like uh, no. I posted a link to this site in a non-"attacking" of intelligence mode so hopefully they'll come here and learn.

Cavy Caged
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts

Hope you and your guinea pig are feeling better! Speedy recovery to you both!

PS - Have you thought about changing your guinea pigs diet to avoid more stones in the future?

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Helena29 View Post
    Hope you and your guinea pig are feeling better! Speedy recovery to you both!

PS - Have you thought about changing your guinea pigs diet to avoid more stones in the future?
    Thanks for the well wishes! Her diet has been great and no problems once I cut out the high calcium veggies. I really think the gal taking care of Mooshy way way over did it with the pellets, which KMS is the best as far as the type of calcium used. Mooshy loves the pellets and so I know she ate way more than the allotted 2 tbsp a day I was giving her. People who don't have gps and worse, don't find this board to get educated about proper care, don't take what you say as a big deal. She fills up her cat bowl of food all the time and just figured no big deal. I bet she saw Mooshy loves her pellets so she was making her happy in my absence. I can understand that, but then you are left with issues, which thankfully this isn't costing me $ in a trip to the vet as between my stuff going on and the $1500 I already spent on her with her infection last month, I really need a break. :)

User Tag List