Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Re: Light red color in urine (?)

What a wonderful vet you have! I wish your pig well and I am hoping that you will get to see her soon enough! :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

@Artista I was relieved when I read the email that you received from your veterinarian. It's such wonderful news that the ultra-sound results were so clean. Even though I've never met Mooshie, I just feel like I know her by reading the stories that you've posted about her. I wish both of you the very best. I'm sure you are missing her terribly but it sounds like she is in such good hands. Your veterinarian sounds like one in a million.

I am keeping both of you in my thoughts. I hope that Mooshie handles the new antibiotic well and is soon able to return home to you.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Thanks all! Yeah Kelsie, miss my Moosh much but want to get her back not having to worry about anything. I told Dr. Welsh that I don't think I can even administer the antibiotics because she wiggles so much, and with my contraption and limitations, I'm guessing therefore it will be a week yet till I see her. Can't remember what the course is but think it's 7 days.

Mooshy is a sweet gentle soul. Quiet, makes cute weeks when she hears the bags- and she can tell the difference between veggie bags and other bags. Stands on her feet to reach the hay at the top of the stack and the game we play is cute. She puts her paws up on the edge of the kitchen and looks at you, sniffs the air waiting for me to through a piece of endive for her to go fetch. Then back she comes. Just so cute. Dr. Welsh loves her. She plays with the white part on top of her head making different designs. Moosh is tame with everyone as I've held her so much and she feels very at ease with people. Just a soft sweet soul that I love more than myself. :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

So girlie is coming home tomorrow am. She's still on abx and being syringe fed 2 x day but they say she isn't fighting so I should be able to do it without restraining her much, standing as is.

She was 1474 gm 3 months ago and is now 1140 I believe. They are trying to fatten her up more. I'm thinking why, this is great! She eats veggies/fruits and hay no prob. They're concerned about the pellets and are feeding syringe. So not sure if this is really necessary if all else is ok- though they did mention they are trying to get bigger poop size and counts out more so maybe that's why. How do I know when to stop syringe feeding @bpatters ?

They've been giving her fruits and veggies more than I ever would, esp fruits. So she's been in heaven I'm sure as it's been a free for all for her. They aren't the savviest with details on gps but they do provide great loving care. So she should enjoy today for tomorrow we're back to the veggies I approve of.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear she's coming home!

If they're "not the savviest on details" on guinea pigs, they may be unaware that it's a long, slow slog to get adult guinea pigs to gain weight. I think what I'd do, if she were mine, is to see how much she's eating on her own compared to her usual amount when she's not sick. If she's eating about the same as then, I'd stop the syringe feedings for a few days and weigh her twice a day to see if she's maintaining her weight. If she is, then you don't necessarily have to continue with the syringe feeding as far as the weight issue is concerned.

If she's not maintaining her weight, then none of that applies. Keep on syringing. But, without reading all the way back, will she take CC or a pellet slurry from a spoon? Flourish and Ruffles would, but I haven't tried Patty, my new pig. She will eat CC off the plate, and I give them a dollop every week just so they'll remember that they like it if I ever have to feed to them for health issues.

The poop size may be related to the antibiotics. You won't know until she's off of it, of course, whether or not that's the case. When you get her home, post a picture and we'll see if we can figure what's going on. Even antibiotics that don't wreck the GI track (such as Baytril) can still affect the poop. Patty is on Vibramycin for pneumonia at the moment. She likes it, it doesn't affect her appetite or the amount of poop, but it is a little softer than normal.

Let us know how she gets along!

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Thanks! I'm slowly cleaning out her cage and am finding very small poops so this existed before abx. I'll see about if she will take from a spoon or in a dish. The syringe is so hard to push that when I do, it goes all over the place.

She is off and on with pellets. Some times it's gone in a day and sometimes it isn't for a long time. But her veggies and hay are eaten no prob, though her appetite for her veggies went down before going to the vet. I guess the bladder infection killed her appetite as no way is the dish left unfinished for as long as it was, or even never finished. She'd pick out her fav (baby carrots, pea pods and some lettuce) and some radicchio, green peppers, and lettuce remained.

When I go in the am, they will have me feed her. I'll take a spoon to see if she goes for it that way. Then I'll skip the evening feed and see how she does with her veggies, hay and pellets out there and check out the poops she leaves on the fleece.

Man I hope she can do this on her own. Even if it's "easy" with no fuss, I don't have the energy.. but the vet bill is way too much already so have to see what I can do.

Thanks! I'll post on her tomorrow pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Mooshy came home this morning! Everyone at the vet's office loves her. Doesn't fight anyone, is friendly and chatty, and goes to everyone. I raised her right. lol. I've held her so much since she was 6 months and people that came over here would pet her so she doesn't run and hide from anyone. They all love her coloring and sweet face, so I was sitting there like a proud mom who just heard her kid got an A+. lol.

This am they did wait until I got there at 8:45 to do the feeding. We tried the spoon and she would just keep biting it so that was a no go. Propped on the table with her back against me, I was able to do some syringe feeding. I can use the counter top for that. They said to get 10-20 in her 1 x in the am and 1 x in the pm. Abx is at the same time. They did it before the feeding. She loves TMS Suspension is what it's called, cherry flavored. Much better than Baytril for her.

She's been back to normal in her activity and eating. She ate some pellets, hay and her salads are mostly gone in no time. The only thing I'm seeing off is still her poops. Size is good, well most of them. Some are small but not many. # looks good. Just many poops are brown and dried or 1/2 dried. I'd say 50-50 on the dried looking ones vs the darker wetter ones. I figure it's water so I've been wetting her veggies more. She's never been a big water drinker so to me she's the same as before. So maybe the abx is causing the drier poops in some of her output?

She weighed 1160 gms this am. I won't syringe feed her tonight, just give her the abx at 8:30 pm since it says every 12 hours. The date on the bottle is 8/21 so I assume when they started this on her so next Fri will be 14 days and done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	76202 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	76203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	76204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1801 (2).jpg 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	76205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	76206

1. Poops. Couple real small ones, 1/2 are dried.
    2. Moosh on her ice pack cooling off in tunnel.
    3. Veggies???
    4. Salad! Baby carrot and pea pods gone!
    5. Hay!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry too much about the poop. Any antibiotic, even the ones that don't tear up the digest tract, can cause some changes in the poop. As long as she's eating and drinking enough, and you're not seeing very soft, runny poop, things are probably fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Ok, I won't worry about the dried poops while she's on abx. But if it persists after she's off, force feed her water? I've never seen so many dried at one time.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

Let's cross that bridge when you get to it. If you read barbaramudge's thread, her pig wasn't drinking much at all, and then started guzzling it down.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Indeed. Colonel had surgery on Monday afternoon, drank about and ounce of water sometime late that night during my nap, say between 4-6am, then didn't drink anything on his own again till Friday night. I mean nothing, not a drop that I hadn't syringed to him. I wet his veggies down really well but he wouldn't drink on his own at all. Since last night he's been drinking really well! He was making me a nervous wreck till then. Today he is back to his old self it seems.

Mooshy is so stinking cute! Glad you got her home with you and that she's doing better.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barbaramudge View Post
    Indeed. Colonel had surgery on Monday afternoon, drank about and ounce of water sometime late that night during my nap, say between 4-6am, then didn't drink anything on his own again till Friday night. I mean nothing, not a drop that I hadn't syringed to him. I wet his veggies down really well but he wouldn't drink on his own at all. Since last night he's been drinking really well! He was making me a nervous wreck till then. Today he is back to his old self it seems.

Mooshy is so stinking cute! Glad you got her home with you and that she's doing better.
    Yeah Mooshy is glad to be home. She's galloping around her cage which is a large estate compared to the one at the vet's. ( 2 x 4 C&C). Just gave her a dose of abx without a fuss. I weighed her and she's 1210 gm. This am was 1160.

So it's
    8/19- 1280
    8/22- 1210
    8/29- 1160
    pm- 1210

Weird swing from am to pm.

So glad to here your Colonel is doing great! The things we do for our pigglets! She cost me almost a month's rent! $1536 and my rent is $1595, but she's my love and no question on getting her back healthy!

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Mine wasn't that expensive thankfully, though I would have come up with that much if I had to. I'm glad that you could get her the care that she needed. Having had to put a pet down because of lack of funds before, I've sworn I wouldn't do that again.

Can I ask how YOU are doing. I know it's Mooshy's thread but I hope you are doing well and taking care of yourself!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

I'm ok, uncomfortable, but ok. Holding steady. Just 3 weeks out post bilateral mastectomies and tissue expander placements. I have 2 of the 4 drains left which is uncomfortable, and it doesn't look like they're coming out on Mon when I go for follow up with plastic surg. Still numb in many places and have to sleep on my back for months- probably a year when this is all over and I'm pretty recovered with permanent implants can I sleep comfy again. I have to get up 1 x in middle of the night cuz my back muscles are sore from lying on them. It needs an hour or two before their refreshed and it's comfy to lie back down on them.

Once I get the drains out, 2 weeks later I can start slowly with the fills of saline solution to slowly get to the size cup I want.

I'm stage IIb/IIIa, grade 3 which is the most aggressive, 7 cm tumor with 1 lymph node involvement so chances are some got out. So my treatment plan is chemo end of next month for 4 or so months then radiation for 5-6 weeks M-F, then tamoxifen pills that suppresses hormone production since I'm ER+ which means the cells feed off of estrogen. I have to watch soy in my diet.

About 3 weeks after radiation, I can have the tissue expanders replaced with permanent implants, which I'm guessing will the an April/May day. Then healing after that.

If anyone is interested in a great resource/info for breast cancer which includes fantastic knowlegable lovely women on the forums, check out breastcancer.org. I got more info from there than I ever could from docs and even the class. Little details that so helped me prepare, and the support! You match up with folks who have the same diagnosis details as you and follow along first in the surgery thread then chemo, so I'm in the August surgery thread going along with other fellow sisters and if chemo does start end of Sept, I will be joining the Sept chemo group to go along with them. It's a great site if you know anyone battling this vicious disease. :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

I don't have anyone currently battling in my inner circle but I have had two close friends go through it. One is almost the exact same as you. She finished up 3 years ago and now has a one year old son. I'm here if ya need to talk but I'm sooo glad to hear you've found support! It makes all the difference imo.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Thanks- I'm 51 next month. No kids thankfully (never wanted any), only told bro in the fam as didn't want parents to literally have heart attack with worry, 2 bffs, and the bc.org site. My nurse navigator was amazed about my attitude and wants me to team up with her on the 1:1 class she does. She would be more info and I'd be more from a pt point of view. I"m positive and am told have a great sense of humor and articulate well. So we'll see on that. Definitely a no until I'm all done as I don't have much energy to leave the house, much less take on helping do a class!

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

I can certainly understand that. We assisted my friend with fundraising. We have an annual "bras for a cause" show. So much much fun and we raised a lot of money for our local Gilda's club. Cancer sucks but it if nothing else it can really bring people together to make a difference.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Mooshy's at 1323 gm this morning. She did eat first, but weird for such a swing in weight over night? Also found a bloody urine spot and a smudge close to it that's been whited out by the flash close to it. It was still pretty wet so it was done this am. She peed on her fleece yesterday and no sign, and now this. I'm emailing her doc but she's out of town until 9/8. Could this be part of the healing @bpatters and not a renewed concern? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	76210

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about the blood spot unless you see more of them. It could be from the infection, it could be spotting during her heat period. That's rare in guinea pigs, but not unheard of.

Keep an eye on the poop. That's a pretty significant weight gain for one day, and could possibly mean she's not pooping as much as she should. Are you sure your scale is weighing accurately? That was a pretty big drop yesterday, and now she's up 160 grams from then? I'd check my scale before I got worried.

Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

I think I see what I did. I have this scale. I forgot that I need to put the container on it to get a read, take it off, turn the scale off, then on and put it back on with her in it to get an accurate read. So the container reads 138 gm. Moosh now is 1188 gm. I put it on my small table vs on top of SPS's timothy hay box, which is level but maybe the 3 gm diff is in a true hard surface.

So yesterday am the vet had her at 1160 gm. Here's praying there are no more blood spots and it's the infection being cleared up. Doesn't make me feel cozy knowing the vet is out of town until 9/8. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1813.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	76211 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	76212 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	76213 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1818.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	76214

User Tag List