Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Eating and Pooping like crazy No Idea what is going on!!!!!

Ashley_Murphy

Cavy Gazer
Hello all!
I have noticed a few strange things with my new guinea pig:

1. He doesn't eat the dried fruits or veggies in his food but the pet store asked me not to change his food. But he isn't eating anything but the pellets.
2. He has been eating hay like no other it seems like I am giving him handfuls every five mins.
3. I changed his cage two days ago and its covered in poop again and not just a little bit! Is that ok?

I am wondering if this is natural or if there maybe something wrong with him. The pet shop lady told me that he is about three months old. The timothy hay (that was provided with the kit we bought from the pet shop) he has doesn't have alfalfa in it and I read that its important to have that in the hay. ANY and ALL advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

~ashley

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hay should be their primary food source so he should have mounds, not handfuls of hay at all times. Since he's under 6 months of age, he needs added calcium in his diet to build strong bones. It can be from alfalfa based pellets, alfalfa or foods high in calcium. Don't feed him pellets with colored bits or seeds in it. He needs unlimited grass hay in addition to any alfalfa you feed him. Timothy hay, orchard grass and brome are all grass hays. Alfalfa is a legume hay and shouldn't be substituted for grass hay. Guinea pigs are poop machines. They eat and poop and eat and poop.... completely normal.

Ashley_Murphy

Cavy Gazer
So the food that I was given with him should be fine? just make sure he always has hay!

threefurballs

Cavy Slave
You want to get the food that's only pellets, oxbow is great. And spot clean every day and the poop won't be so bad. Fleece makes life easier. We reefill our hay twice a day, they eat a lot! It helps their teeth too. 5d848dd808bf603c08a3fbc57dc59ba1.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What food did they give you? If it's got colored bits in it, it's not fine. You need a plain pellet -- alfalfa if the pig is under six months, timothy if over. And he needs a cup of veggies every day.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I hear you! I knew to expect a LOT of poop, but my pigs poop an INSANE amount some days! I sweep them up twice a day (my pigs are on fleece). I keep my dystopian and broom and a trash can right by the cage.

Be sure to check out guinealynx.com for lots of good Ingo on care and diet.

Ashley_Murphy

Cavy Gazer
The food that he is on is called VITA guinea pig formula its says that it is fortified with Vitamin C, Vitamin & Mineral enriched, and high in fiber. the pellets are a light brownish color and there are dried carrot pieces in there along with other dried veggies according to the bag. I believe the brand name is Sunseed...

Ashley_Murphy

Cavy Gazer
So he isnt too young to have fresh veggies?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I find Vitakraft and Vita Prima guinea pig foods. They're both crappy. You need plain pellets without seeds, nuts, or colored bits. Hay should be the primary ingredient -- alfalfa for pigs less than six months old, timothy for pigs that are older.

And pigs are never too young for vegetables. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what they can have, and how often.

PopcorningPig

Cavy Slave
At such a young age pigs should be fed alfalfa hay, and alfalfa hay based pellets. I would change his pellets to plain ones with no colourful bits, seeds, or fruit or veggies. a good brand of pellets, are oxbow, but it is a bit expensive, but totally worth it. Guinea pigs poop a LOT, so I wouldn't worry about it. And it's totally normal for guinea pigs to eat a lot of hay. Have a wonderful day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.