Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding 4 babies: Socializing Babies.. And What should I do about their dad.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I work 9 hours a day monday through friday and saturday is spend all day at gymnastics with my children. (they do not live with me full time)

The only time I get to play with them is after work, before work and my 1 hour lunch (my job is litterally walking distance from my job)

How should I do floor and lap time? Should I wait for them to get a little bigger? Should I handle them as much as possible?

I also am having an issue with dad, dad knows the babies are there, he is constantly chewing the bars of the cage. I have had him for 5 months or so and he is anti-social. Lately he has been constantly wheeking. especially at night time.

My boyfriend thinks that he wants to see his babies. I told him that he will probably bully them and we have to wait until Pumba (the only boar) is old enough.

What should I do to calm papa? And how should I be socializing the new babies?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The male probably will NOT bully the babies -- males generally make very good caretakers. If he's been neutered, he can go back with them now. If not, it would probably be better to put him in another room where he's not so aware of them until the baby boar is old enough to go in with him.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
The male probably will NOT bully the babies -- males generally make very good caretakers. If he's been neutered, he can go back with them now. If not, it would probably be better to put him in another room where he's not so aware of them until the baby boar is old enough to go in with him.

Dad died this afternoon:( He was on the floor lifeless, when i came home from lunch today. I am thinking he tried jumping out of the cage from his house (this is just me guessing) he probably damaged something.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. That's so sad.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Oh my god...I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say...the poor dear. :( I almost feel like I'VE lost a pet, even though I never even met the dear. I was so happy that the Nala and her babies were doing so well, I didn't even think of poor Lilo...I'm very sorry for your loss.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Oh my god...I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say...the poor dear. :( I almost feel like I'VE lost a pet, even though I never even met the dear. I was so happy that the Nala and her babies were doing so well, I didn't even think of poor Lilo...I'm very sorry for your loss.

My boyfriend thought he was acting strange the past few days, freaking out, constantly wheeking, trying to bite the sides of the cages.. I should have moved him out of the room :( I am going to rebuild my c&C cage theis weekend where they will all have enough room low to the ground.. I am okay and I know that being the owner of 7 (now 6) guinea pigs that death will happen. :(

wombats

Cavy Slave
Golly...I'm a very sensitive person when it comes to animals and I looked forward to seeing how they were doing and if they were healthy, and I suppose everyone was so caught up on the babies I didn't even think of this poor bug.

Just know it wasn't your fault, dear, it was in no way your fault. Just never forget him, for his babies' sake and your's. Learn from this and keep the rest safe and happy, okay? You still have these other bugs to care for and they need you. You're tough though, and I'm glad you're doing okay...but if you need to talk or anything please do, alright?

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Golly...I'm a very sensitive person when it comes to animals and I looked forward to seeing how they were doing and if they were healthy, and I suppose everyone was so caught up on the babies I didn't even think of this poor bug.

Just know it wasn't your fault, dear, it was in no way your fault. Just never forget him, for his babies' sake and your's. Learn from this and keep the rest safe and happy, okay? You still have these other bugs to care for and they need you. You're tough though, and I'm glad you're doing okay...but if you need to talk or anything please do, alright?

will do

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi Guys, sorry to come back to this again, Should I be holding the babies a lot even though they seem scared? or should I wait? I really want them to be friendly like their mother.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
You can handle the pups from birth just keep in mind they are very fragile and squirmy.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
You can handle the pups from birth just keep in mind they are very fragile and squirmy.

I know that, but should I handle as much as possible? should I be starting laptime? Do i keep them all together or separated?

Thank you.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
You want them to get used to humans and not be scared around humans. So handle them regularly but leave them some time to do their own stuff. How old are they?

Last edited:

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
You want them to get used to humans and not be scared around humans. So handle them regularly but leave them some time to do their own stuff. How old are they?

They are three days old. they are all very lively I try to holda few at a time but i dont want them to panic too much and I also wanted to wait for advise to find out what I should do daily to socialize them..

Should I do them all at once or a few at a time? All with mom or by themselves? I just dont want to mentally mess my babies up especially since I am keeping them all.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about the lose of your pig. It must be so hard to have such a sad event. I hope you are ok!

I read a suggestion on here (can't remember what post) that I've been doing with my newly adopted girls. Make a floor play pen (mine is a vinyl tablecloth on the ground and a fence made of grids). Then you can sit inside it with the pigs and they can get used to being near you. And if you hold the babies, then you are very close to the ground just in case one gets loose. Then you could have mama pig in there too, which might help the babies feel more comfortable. Another idea, my girls don't like being held by bare hands - they prefer the security of a pet bed in my lap.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I am taking them to see my kids tomorrow I am bringing a corrall, Hay, blanket, and some other stuff so they can run arround and for travel i have a petsmart cage, they would only be in this while driving (its only 10 minutes away) my kids are very good and they are used to animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.