Thread: Has anyone ever seen GP's mate through a 9 x 9 hole grid separating them?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Has anyone ever seen GP's mate through a 9 x 9 hole grid separating them?

I have designed a large cage comprised of two L shapes, one for my female, Cocoa, and a larger one for my two males, Rusty & Jerome, with a shared wall four grids in length. All three are unaltered.

I have seen Cocoa back her bottom up to the dividing grids for the boars to sniff on a couple of occasions. Knowing what I do about their skeletal limitations, am I correct that they cannot mate through the bars?

I would rather not install a 3-4" coroplast "baseboard" along the shared grids, but I will if it's necessary to be certain we are safe.

Your comments?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Re: Has anyone ever seen GP's mate through a 9 x 9 hole grid separating them?

@spy9doc She certainly IS a brazen hussy, yes, hahaha... I actually wasn't insulting the manhoods of Rusty or Jerome, tho' ... I was referring to the way their spines don't arch backwards (which is why they can NOT safely run on exercise wheels)

You say they can do anything if they are determined enough... Hmmmnnn... this isn't something I want to risk!
    Last edited by frNzR4evr; 08-11-15 at 09:55 am. Reason: additional remarks

Cavy Caged
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts

She is quite frisky! I dont think its possible, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4064 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,502 Rec'd/5,994 Posts

I've heard of it, but don't know whether it was true or not. Maybe you should overlap some grids between them, just to be safe.

5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

@bpatters I like that idea better than a baseboard, but for that matter, I have plenty of grids, I can change it to create two fully separate cages with a half inch gap between the sexes

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Bad little girl. Next thing you know she will pimp herself out for some of his carrots. Just make sure to run over there if you gear some Berry Manilow in the back ground.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

I'd never keep males right next to females. Why not rebuild your cage into a double decker so they can't see each other. It would take up less space, too.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tzarius78 View Post
    Bad little girl. Next thing you know she will pimp herself out for some of his carrots. Just make sure to run over there if you hear some Berry Manilow in the back ground.

User Tag List