Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

My heart is breaking...

I work at a chain pet store that accepts surrendered animals for adoption. About a week ago, we took in two 3ish year old sweet girls. They came with a ton of hay and fleece from their previous owner, so I'm sure they're used to a good home.

I don't know how long it will be until they're adopted because they're currently stuck in the back room, in a 40 gallon fish tank, with no way to advertise that they need a good home.

I recently discovered that one of my coworkers left them with no pellets, no hay, and an empty water bottle for half a day.

I want them to be rehomed quickly, but I also want to find someone who's cavy savvy, because I can't bear to imagine that they'd never have the space to popcorn around the way my boys do.

I'm sorry, it's late, I'm tired and sad, and I can't get my mind off of those girls.

Shot in the dark, but if anyone is in northwestern washington looking for a pair, pm me.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Re: My heart is breaking...

Awe, poor babies. Is there any way you would be able to adopt them? If not is there a way you can convince your boss to put up a sign for Cavy Savy people and to advise him that your coworker didnt feed them and that he needs to stay on top of it.

Also What about Vegies? Are you able to bring some vegies into work for them.. YoI dont emagine you would get in trouble for caring for them well at least while they are waiting for adoption.

Goodluck doll!

Thanks
    Thanks
    48 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Is it possible you can foster them? Sounds like you'll be able to provide the environment they are used to...

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I don't have the room for another c&c in my shared apartment. I will ask if I can put up a sign when I'm back to work in a few days. I'm just concerned that if I'm not there to educate a potential new owner, one of my coworkers might recommend a tiny store cage, or even separate them

We have a fridge of veggies for the animals, though we rarely have lettuce because it doesn't keep as well as cabbage and kale. I don't know how much fresh food they get for breakfast since I usually close, but I did give them a little extra carrot and bell pepper the other night because they were wheeking at me and running up to the glass. I also stuff their hay feeder full every time I'm in there since they go through so much. They practically ignore their pellets and just devour hay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

If I wasn't on the opposite side of the country, I'd offer to take them. Hopefully they find a good home soon!

Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

You could ask your manager if you could put an add on Petfinder. Or maybe see if there is a guinea pig rescue (or similar small animal rescue) nearby that could take them. Or do you have any adoption days at your store? I've seen some stores around me do that occasionally. You could ask to bring them out for that event maybe. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I wish so badly I could take them in.. I'm in western Washington but I don't have a big enough cage (only enough grids for a 2x2 with no coroplast) and we can't afford to build a bigger one at the moment. Plus, we already have two boars taking up the main free area in our kitchen. :/

Is there any way you could try to contact Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue and see if they have room?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner T1ggerPigLuvur's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

I second @Nazgul 's idea. Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue is usually pretty full, but it's worth a shot contacting them and seeing if they have any room for the pair.

Hopefully this helps, keep us updated!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    32 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

They were adopted today! Their new owners have had guinea pigs before. I told them about c&c cages and about this site. I'm excited, and I hope they join the forum.

10. "Thank you, kairi26, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner T1ggerPigLuvur's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

That's great news! Glad this story had a happy ending!

Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

Wonderful news!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have they been adopted yet?? I would get them if i didn't live in the middle of the country

User Tag List