Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Sexing baby piggies

• Thread starter Cavies4EverEver
  • Start date

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
What age do you recommend they are sexed?

I plan on keeping all pups and adding them to the three that I have. This way i dont have to stress if they are going to good homes or not. Has anyone else done this before? Tips please! :)

Fay

Cavy Slave
They will need to be separated by sex at 3 weeks of age. This page has some good pictures/information on how to sex pups:

https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html

Some more reference pictures/information:

https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

If you still aren't sure which sex they are, take some clear pictures of their bits and post them here and/or ask an experienced vet to check them for you... you can never be too careful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's another link for sexing them: (broken link removed)

wombats

Cavy Slave
Ohh golly! I haven't been on in about a week because tapatalk has been strange and wouldn't let me log in, but I've been thinking about Nala all the while. I get really attached to other animals even when they are not my own, and I really hope all goes well--it sounds like she'll have them any day now and the anticipation must be terrible! Even I'm nervous.

I'm also so glad to hear you'll be keeping all of the babies--they'll be in wonderful hands, I'm sure. :)

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Ohh golly! I haven't been on in about a week because tapatalk has been strange and wouldn't let me log in, but I've been thinking about Nala all the while. I get really attached to other animals even when they are not my own, and I really hope all goes well--it sounds like she'll have them any day now and the anticipation must be terrible! Even I'm nervous.

I'm also so glad to hear you'll be keeping all of the babies--they'll be in wonderful hands, I'm sure. :)

Nala is welll! She is eating a lot.. she wheeks for food even when I just gave her veggies... I give her a little extra becuase of her condition. She runs arround the cage as if shes not pregnant and at night.. she is quiet and lazy. I always wake up and hope to see babies in her cage.. but usually thats not the case. My roomate has a little chiwawa that goes in my room to check on her every night lol usually dogs are asses, but she doesnt seem to want to eat the pigs.. she just stiffs her, makes sure that she is okay and leaves the room lol.

piggymomma3

Cavy Slave
Nala is welll! She is eating a lot.. she wheeks for food even when I just gave her veggies... I give her a little extra becuase of her condition. She runs arround the cage as if shes not pregnant and at night.. she is quiet and lazy. I always wake up and hope to see babies in her cage.. but usually thats not the case. My roomate has a little chiwawa that goes in my room to check on her every night lol usually dogs are asses, but she doesnt seem to want to eat the pigs.. she just stiffs her, makes sure that she is okay and leaves the room lol.
Thats so funny I have a big German Shepherd that does the exact same thing! The pigs will even go up to him. Its so cute to see when dogs and small rodents get along

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
We had 4 healthy babies this morning. Mom is doing well and making sure all of them are eating :)

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Great! :) I’m glad they are all OK! I just replied to your other thread, then saw you had answered my question on this one, so please ignore my other reply :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.