Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

She won't eat the new pellets.

HI, I adopted hazel about 2 two months ago and she came with half a bag of pellets. I started to work oxbow in so eventually she is only eating the oxbow pellets as it is much better for her. The problem is the ate around them and only ate the old stuff. I had mixed up the next 6 weeks of pellets into zip-locks with each week having more oxbow than the last. My concern is that I don't want to just refill her bowl with the days pellets and leave her old oxbow in there (I won't let it get to old) to encourage her to eat it because I'm afraid she might just eat to much at once then and get a stomach ache. The alternative is keeping the ratio but my concern is that she might just keep picking around it and not get enough pellets. Does anyone know a solution to her not eating the new better pellets?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Re: She won't eat the new pellets.

Well, maybe you can turn the oxbow pellets into a treat. Just blend some in a blender, maybe add some carrot puree or apple- and freeze it. Then you can take it out, thaw it a bit, and see if she likes it.

I just came up with that in my head so I have not tested this

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix187 View Post
    Well, maybe you can turn the oxbow pellets into a treat. Just blend some in a blender, maybe add some carrot puree or apple- and freeze it. Then you can take it out, thaw it a bit, and see if she likes it.

I just came up with that in my head so I have not tested this
    That's a great idea. I did something similar with my hamster when I changed his diet. He got an upset stomach when I switching him and i had to start with one piece a day to make it work. Hazel does love carrots so I might have to give that a go. How would I work it back to being breakfast not a treat?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Hmmm, maybe start thawing it out more each time, so that the consistency and temperature is more like the actual pellets? Or maybe after a week of giving her the frozen one mixed with carrots, make a batch with just pellets. Maybe do that for a week and then try giving her the pellets again?

5. "Thank you, Beatrix187, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Add a little water and make it into a mash then eventually you should be able to put just oxbow in her bowl.

7. "Thank you, Cavies4EverEver, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I recently switched my piggy to Oxbow from Kaytee pellets and he too was a bit reluctant to eat the Oxbow. My vet suggested that chop up some peppers and carrots and place them under the pellets. This way the taste of the peppers and carrots gets on to the pellets and they are more tempted to eat them. It worked for Nugget. =)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lovelylady007 View Post
    I recently switched my piggy to Oxbow from Kaytee pellets and he too was a bit reluctant to eat the Oxbow. My vet suggested that chop up some peppers and carrots and place them under the pellets. This way the taste of the peppers and carrots gets on to the pellets and they are more tempted to eat them. It worked for Nugget. =)
    I'm switching from kaytee too! that sounds like a great idea. I will definitely try that first.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

You have to remember that this is basically like switching your guinea pig from eating pizzas to healthy salads. It's hard to 'give up' the tasty but unhealthier food. The suggestion of making the pellets smell like vegetables is good. If that doesn't work you could try feeding them JUST the Oxbow pellets when they are clearly hungry. Hopefully they'll eat a few so they get a feel for them. Do make sure they do get enough food overall.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    You have to remember that this is basically like switching your guinea pig from eating pizzas to healthy salads. It's hard to 'give up' the tasty but unhealthier food. The suggestion of making the pellets smell like vegetables is good. If that doesn't work you could try feeding them JUST the Oxbow pellets when they are clearly hungry. Hopefully they'll eat a few so they get a feel for them. Do make sure they do get enough food overall.
    I'm afraid if I only give her oxbow she will only eat hay and miss out on the nutrients in pellets. and if i make up for it in vegetables as best as i can she wont be hungry. for pellets would this be worth the risk? I tried mixing it with green pepper chunks and she picked out the pellets. then i mashed a small amount of pellets with a lot of peppers and she hasn't touched that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Did you try the frozen method? Because I actually made it for my guinea pig as a treat and he loved that. I used

1/2 Pellets
    4 tablespoons carrot puree
    4 tablespoons apple puree

If you will be giving it to her every day then you would probably want to leave out the apple. Too much sugar.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix187 View Post
    Did you try the frozen method? Because I actually made it for my guinea pig as a treat and he loved that. I used

1/2 Pellets
    4 tablespoons carrot puree
    4 tablespoons apple puree

If you will be giving it to her every day then you would probably want to leave out the apple. Too much sugar.
    I'll try that next. So far mixing it with old pellets, mixing it with peppers, mixing with an orange slice to get the flavor, and making a mash hasn't worked. She is so stubborn!!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I would suggest to not give your pigs too much pellets overall. Oxbow pellets, along with other pellets caused bladder stones on mine and many guinea pigs.
    I suggest you try giving more vegetables and less pellets, along with unlimited timothy hay.

All their required vitamins, etc. can be found in vegetables.. no need to give pellets. Just my opinion. If you would like I can suggest the vegetable diets I give my piggies. My older piggie is now 7 years old and has been stone free for over 2 years.

15. "Thank you, Morning_shadow, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Morning_shadow, I have been following the diet where you give each pig 1/8 a cup of pellets, unlimited hay, and a cup of lettuce, daily. the other veg I give is well varied with a fare amount of green peppers, I use a chart that has all the vegetables in groups of how often they can/should have them. I don't know how much more I can spend on veggies than I already do but I would be over joyed if you would share you vegetable diet. I have been trying to find the best most natural diet and there is so much contradicting information that it's hard to know what's really right. There is always the same basic idea but hearing it from someone who it has worked for would be great!

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

No offense, but after all the reading I've done it seems that going pellet-less isn't really necessary. You're better off just switching to a good pellet brand like KMS and removing any high calcium veggies from their diet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    No offense, but after all the reading I've done it seems that going pellet-less isn't really necessary. You're better off just switching to a good pellet brand like KMS and removing any high calcium veggies from their diet.
    I've e heard that too and I've heard that it's better to go without. I just thought I'd like to hear how to properly balance everything without pellets so I've got all my options to consider with all there pros and cons.

Is KMS one that isn't available in the U.S.? I looked and can't find it where I live. Or is it one that has to be ordered on line. Oxbow was truly the best I could bet in a store here.

And side note she finally ate her pellets today. I only gave her the new ones and she wasn't happy but she ate them. She spent ten minutes picking up a piece and spitting it out before she actually chewed and swallowed anything. I was worried she'd give up and go to her hay but that wasn't a problem.
    Last edited by lizpow; 08-05-15 at 10:56 pm. Reason: confusing spelling error

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

KMS is available in the states but can only be bought online as its not in stores...website is www.kmshayloft.com

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lizpow View Post
    Morning_shadow, I have been following the diet where you give each pig 1/8 a cup of pellets, unlimited hay, and a cup of lettuce, daily. the other veg I give is well varied with a fare amount of green peppers, I use a chart that has all the vegetables in groups of how often they can/should have them. I don't know how much more I can spend on veggies than I already do but I would be over joyed if you would share you vegetable diet. I have been trying to find the best most natural diet and there is so much contradicting information that it's hard to know what's really right. There is always the same basic idea but hearing it from someone who it has worked for would be great!

I feed mine twice a day.
    For breakfast I give: Butternut squash, Boston lettuce, green pepper( 2-4 little squares), cucumber and little bit of zucchini.
    For dinner: Zucchini, Boston lettuce, green pepper (6 squares), cucumber.

You can make variations every other day: switch Red(or colorful) pepper instead of the Green for breakfast (2-4 squares). Switch zucchini with yellow squash. Also every 2-3 days add a little bit of carrot for breakfast, or sweet potato (2 slices per pig).
    Add fruits like: banana, apple, pear, tomato every now and then. (not too much fruit though, 2 slices per pig).

I don't give any kale, spinach, parsley, cilantro.. because they are high calcium. But this is just me having fear of stones showing up. I hear they're very good, and in the past my piggies do love them, but I would say give maybe once a month, a little bit if you want.

Don't forget to always water down veggies in plate. Also daily clean the water bottle with baby bottle washer, and give them unlimited Timothy Hay. I suggest 2nd cutting Hay from Small Pet select. They deliver to your door and is much less dustier than the store brands.

21. "Thank you, Morning_shadow, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Why water down veggies?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndseyjo3 View Post
    Why water down veggies?
    It's always good to add a bit of water to their plate, so that they can get all the water they need. I don't know, my piggie sometimes doesn't like the water bottle and prefers to drink it from her veggie plate.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,561 Rec'd/1,285 Posts
    Mentioned
    598 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    @Nazgul.......I happen to agree. I spent a bloody fortune on veggies for my previous cavies! It's ironic that both of them passed due to issues unrelated to diet. Plus the fact, if you want to be a slave to your cavies and have to be at home for their morning & evening meal, feed them primarily vegetables. A primarily veggie diet will often result in loose stools and one of mine even stopped eating hay......and developed severe tooth issues. Hey, why eat that boring hay when my humans will feed me a delicious salad?! If we took away his salad, he simply would stop eating and literally drop weight overnight.

When we got our current little boys, they had never had anything except hay, pellets, and an occasional carrot. They are growing rapidly and seem to be really hungry late afternoon/early evening. We have relented and give them a small salad of mixed greens with lots of peppers for their Vit. C. Some days we vary the time that they get their veggies so that they aren't dependent on them at a regular time.

So far they are thriving and literally growing before my very eyes. I had forgotten what normal poop looks like.

User Tag List