Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Bathing

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
At what age should I bath my piggies and why?:confused:

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't really need to bathe your pigs unless they have mites or something.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
They smell and I know that many ppl here bath their piggies. I just need to know the right age

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Definitely do not bathe until they're 3-6 months old. Most piggies don't need routine baths, although you can bathe them every 3-6 months if you want, but if they get dirty for some reason then you can also bathe them. Buddy baths also happen often when doing introductions, or when bonded groups are acting out. Appropriate shampoos are labelled as kitten-, rabbit-, or guinea pig-safe, no shampoos for humans, babies, or dogs.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I have never heard of bathing them cause they smell. If they smell, its probably their cage. But if I did bath my piggy, I would make sure they are at least six months. But I think it is just going to cause unnecessary stress.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I have a herd of girls, and on occasion one of them will be drenched in pee because she got on the wrong end of some tiff so then the wet pig gets a bath. Also I've recently adopted a fluffy white Peruvian, and she tends to get gross butt hairs. She's been getting butt baths before haircuts because I've been having a hard time figuring out how short to get the butt hairs so they stay clean. I pretty much otherwise limit baths to buddy baths, because yes if they smell it's because their cage is gross, they otherwise pretty much don't smell.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
I clean the cage every two to three days. So its not that cage. Thank you [MENTION=34986]PandaPiggle[/MENTION] for the response. I know they don't need routine baths but sometimes they smell. I just needed to know at what age can this happen.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I clean the cage every two to three days. So its not that cage. Thank you @PandaPiggle for the response. I know they don't need routine baths but sometimes they smell. I just needed to know at what age can this happen.

I was wondering this as well. I give mine baths every 3 months or so.. all 3 of mine like the water. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.