Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Just saying hello...

Hi,

I am new here, I have 2 guinea pigs, they are small, but still are young.
    I have been looking for ways to expand my knowledge on guinea pigs, if anyone could recomend websites or books i could read that would be really helpful.

thank you

Benjerry

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    44 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Re: Just saying hello...

Welcome to the forum! There is so much helpful information all over this site. Read through the different threads but don't feel overwhelmed, everyone here is awesome helpful. Again welcome!

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/30 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benjerry View Post
    Hi,

I am new here, I have 2 guinea pigs, they are small, but still are young.
    I have been looking for ways to expand my knowledge on guinea pigs, if anyone could recomend websites or books i could read that would be really helpful.

thank you

Benjerry
    Well the Good thing is no books are needed! Some advice?
    1. Dont ask your dog and cat vet about guinea pigs
    2. Do not ask your Local pet store (the big ones)

You can always ask us.. there are many good threads and most of them contain information that you are looking for. I also downloaded an app on my phone that gives me information and even gives me the sounds of some of the noises guinea pigs make. I have apple but its called : Guinea Pig Pocket Guide.. It just has some of the basics. But here in the forum is the best source of Huh? How? Why

Welcome!

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Welcome to the forums! You've come to the right place There is SO much useful information on here and it's helped me tremendously in the past. I'd highly recommend reading all of the Guinea Lynx' care guide AND medical guide as your starting point which you can do here:

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
    http://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

As for these forums your best bet is to read all the sticky posts in the various categories. I'd especially recommend printing out the vegetable chart as it's SUPER useful (DO make sure you also read the second post beneath it as it's got a poisonous plant list and information on what NOT to feed):

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...us-Plants-List

If you have any questions you can use the search function to find answers to most of them but if you can't, don't feel afraid to post and ask! People are happy to help As for books, a lot of them have inaccurate or out-of-date information. There are some better ones (not sure which) but your best bet is the Guinea Lynx website or these forums for accurate information. I'm also going to echo what @Bacon4EverEver said in that pet stores and dog/cat vets are unreliable sources of information regarding guinea pig care.

And lastly, make sure to read the 'Main' tab at the top on recommended cage sizes as pet store cages are usually far too small for guinea pigs. Since you have young pigs if you do plan to build a C & C cage (in case you haven't already) make sure to read up on how to baby proof them as they can get stuck in the grids if not.

Again, nice to have you on board and I'd love to see pigtures!

Thanks
    Thanks
    120 Rec'd/91 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)

Welcome @benjerry ! I'm a new pig owner too, although my girls are older (around 3.5 years). What I've learned so far is start with the basics:

-big cage (DIY or C&C is the way to go. Anything at pet stores or Amazon is probably too small - except Midwest cages which can work for single pigs or two females)
    -hidey houses (at least 1 per pig and with at least 2 door openings each)
    -quality hay
    -pellets
    -fresh veggies (I've started with lettuces and peppers as my main diet and then research other things to add. I have to keep calcium low due to Snickers' tendency for stones.)

I also added two cuddly cup type beds which work really well when holding my pigs. But a note on that - see if you can find some waterproof ones (my old girl Lucy tends to wee when I hold her and I learned the hard way that the beds I bought are NOT waterproof.... ew!).

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I haven't got a C&C cage as I have two inquisitive cats the cage I have for them is rather large though

User Tag List